Topic

West Coast Trail add on

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports West Coast Trail add on

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

Hello out there- we will be doing the West Coast Trail this July and have some time at the end. We were thinking of Nootka Island. Anybody out there have a favorite Vancouver Island alternative? Hesquiat? Kayaking? Afraid JDF too crowded and we could do stuff similar to Strathcona elsewhere, buit may be wrong about this. Sam.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Sam – just responded to your PM.

Cheers,

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

Thanks David. Might try the North Coast Trail but I have heard that WCT is better. Kayaking up there might be just the thing.

David Ure

@familyguy

Even on the WCT this year we saw many seals, sea lions, and whales. In abundance. Kayaking in the area would be great.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

NCT is all board walk and water taxi in and out. the people i know that have done it say it wasn't worth it all(i would have to evaluate it for myself though). There is also the nootka trail water taxi and float plane though…

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I think Nootka is kinda pricey. Based on what I read in Explore mag a few months back, you've got a lot of ferry costs to get to Nootka and then you need to rent a car or hitchhike to the point where you can hire a water taxi to get to the trail. You also need to pay the local natives $40/person to use the trail on top of the BC parks fees and then you need a water taxi back etc. Seems like a great trail, but the JDF is much closer and way cheaper so it depends on your situation. The JDF would definitely be busier though….

There's also the sunshine coast trail which might be nice. I've never hiked it:
    http://www.sunshinecoast-trail.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools