Topic

SHR Alumni: Thoughts on shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SHR Alumni: Thoughts on shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam Frizzell
    BPL Member

@adamf

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hi all,

I will be hiking the entirety of the SHR this summer (late July through early August) and am hoping to get some advice and expertise from some members who have already hiked the route.
    My question is what kind of shelter did you bring with you? I'm planning on sheltering exclusively in a WR bivy (MLD SuperLight), but I'm thinking some additional protection might be in order as well. I have a handful of different tarps/shelters of varying sizes, but I'd like to know what you brought along for your standard shelter or for the possible bad weather.
    Is carting my cuben DuoMid overkill for the precip I'd see mid summer? Could I get away with a simple 8.5'x4' flat tarp + bivy?
    I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have and, of course, any other advice for this trip would be most welcome.

Thanks much,
    Adam

Adam Frizzell
    BPL Member

@adamf

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

To add to this, I'll be posting my SHR gear list in the Gear List forum as soon as I've made a couple tweaks.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Hey Adam, my sister and I are making the hike in the last half of July. So we're not alumni yet, but I just wanted to give a shout-out to someone else tackling the route.

We're both bringing Equinox DWR bivies that I'm adding bug netting to, and we'll also have a Golite Shangri-la 3 to share. Maybe this is overkill, but my only other shelter is a poncho tarp, which definitely wouldn't protect the both of us. So our decision was easy. :)

Jason Lee

@jasonthelee

I did the SHR last year and carried a GG White Lightning tarp. However, we were lucky enough to not encounter any substantial weather and the bugs weren't much of a factor. So every single night was spent laying out under the brilliant stars. My time of travel fell between late July and mid August. Seriously a great trip, let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools