Topic

Ultralight Sleeping Bag Compression Stuff Sack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Sleeping Bag Compression Stuff Sack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Who makes one? I'm looking at stuffing a GoLite Quilt into it.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I prefer roll top bags to compression sacks. They seem to last longer plus you can't beat putting your sleeping bag or quilt in something water-resistant.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Bag. 8L should do the trick. Roll once, leave the roll loose so air can escape, kneel on the bag. Your body weight will get it as small as any compression bag. Roll a few more times. Cool thing is you then get a "kneadable" package, instead of a hard ball that wastes packing space.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

+1 on non-compressed

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

I like the dry sacks with eVent on the bottom. Granite Gear makes the lightest called eVent Sil Drysacks. You roll it once or twice, push down and the air escapes through the eVent, almost creating a vacuum in the bag, then roll it once or twice more and clip. Lighter than a compression bag and does the same thing.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

John,

You might want to look at the JRB compression sack…Lightest available at 1.2 oz size reg, will handle that quilt/bag.

Pan

John Marie
    Spectator

@johnmarie

I got tired of the time and work involved with compressing. “Give me convenience or give me death” I elected to make modifications required to avoid death. http://www.pixihop.com/

Please let me know what you figure? I am always interested in the opinions of real trail blazers.

Thanks,

John

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How much does the Snakey weigh with and without the optional cover? How are the mini biners used pictured on your page? Why do the videos show the Snakey not completely removed from the bag?(Edit: It is attached somehow with the biners so now I have a huge tail attached to my bag to get wet, dirty if cowboy camping, or heavy condensation nights) Not real jazzed with the final compressed shape. The kid packing is inept. Took me 40 seconds to pack my three season bag in an Event dry sack, that I can also use for clothes. And perhaps you could do an introduction and answer the above in a separate thread. Thanks.

John Marie
    Spectator

@johnmarie

Hi Ken,

Without the cover, 96g. I just had a peak at the Event dry sack, this starts at 107g. every gram counts.:)

Snakey is completely removed, could be the angle from which it was taken.

Conceded, no Paris Runway fashion points will be awarded, this is about function / utility.

40 seconds eh… I will post a video on how to break the 7 second mark with Snakey.

Below is an awesome quote from Guy Kawasaki,
    Jump to the next curve. Too many companies duke it out on the same curve. If they were daisy wheel printer companies, they think innovation means adding Helvetica in 24 points. Instead, they should invent laser printing. True innovation happens when a company jumps to the next curve–or better still, invents the next curve, so set your goals high.

If all goes well and we get the adopters, Snakey will "constrict" the market.

Introduction, good looking, wise, good nature, sensitive and oh yea humble.

Kind Regards,

John

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Ken,
    this was my comment at Backpackers :
    It will work for some, maybe many.
    Just for fun, I tried my 32f (down bag) into the 4L stuff sack I use for it , took me 34 sec without rushing. (never timed myself before…)
    The stuff sack will compress further when inside the bag (11″x 6″ without extra compression. under 20g)
    Then I tried the same bag inside a 25g 8L sack, just on 30 sec again without trying too hard.
    My SB is about 605g so for people like me adding 120g or so to do it slower , it isn’t a good idea but it may be very different for others.
    OK, so I have the time…
    I then tried a 20F SB, into the 8L stuff sack, 41 sec.
    – See more at: http://forums.backpacker.com/topic/i-changed-my-method-to-compress-my-sleeping-bag/#sthash.P8JOCrGg.dpuf

Of course I will probably slow down when I get older so this new way may become more desirable.
    Or take 1 minute to stuff.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks for the reply, John.

The Snakey most certainly does not look completely removed in your silent 7 second video. And you descriptions says
    "No need to search for your compression sack, it is attached."
    I'll stick with a bag that I can retrieve my clothes out of as well. One bag saved, every gram counts. I try to stay away from single use items.
    You asked for feedback.
    Best of luck with your endeavor.

So how are the biners attached? Are they included in your above posted weight?

Not the type of introduction i was looking for. Not dating you.

I would have thought that the biggest complaint would be with packing up sleeping pads, not bags.

Guy's babble sounds like marketing, Oh wait, it is.

And yes, i am always this curt online. Not into manifesto posts.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Peregrine, a Liberty Mountain house brand, has some ultralight compression stuff sacks.

http://www.libertymountain.com/products/5244/NTN15126/peregrine-ultralight-compression

3L = 1.0oz
    4L = 1.4oz
    6L = 1.6oz
    10L = 2.8oz
    15L = 3oz
    20L = 3.2oz

Peregrine also offers this ultralight compressible dry summit sack, which I have, and I like. 3.2 oz and it makes a decent day pack http://www.libertymountain.com/products/5244/NTN15127/peregrine-ultralight-dry-summit-pack.

Sophia Bishop
    Spectator

@sophiabishop

I second the Granite Gear sack. I use a GG Event Sil Compression Dry Sack. It's a roll top sack made from silnylon with skinny pulls, and an event bottom, so air doesn't get trapped inside. 3.5oz, mine weighs (I have the biggest size). I stuff my sleeping bag, pillow, and any additional clothes i don't want getting wet in there (like extra socks) and it smooshed down to nothing.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, tried the Granite Gear ones. They leaked. I tried two.

I generally use a small STS eVent Dry/Compression bag at about 4.5oz. This is heavy until you consider that it holds my bag, down camp jacket, socks and long johns. It is about 9" long and ~7" in diameter. In camp, I sometimes stuff my pack and 2L water bottle in it to use as a pillow. I have walked for three days in steady rain. Once, I flipped the canoe and soaked everything in my pack (except for my food bag and this one,) still hiked over 12 miles to get to the next waterway and paddled about 3 miles to camp. Everything in the STS bag was dry at the end of a soggy day. I will pay a couple ounces in weight to have good waterproof bags.

Does your Snakey pack any better than what I see? That roll does not look real efficient in my pack.

Does it store anything else? I would need a third bag, as Ken T said, for camp clothing.

Is it totally water proof? IE, up to and including an immersion for a couple hours.

I can see some utility if it is waterproof. Wrapping the bag around the vertical perimeter of a pack, rather than in it, may add some structure.

Justin Miller
    BPL Member

@jrmoose

Locale: Midwest

I had also been using S2S eVent Compression but recently switched to their eVac Dry Sack. It still has a similar feel in durabiltiy and design sans the compression aspect (which I prefer). It comes in about half the weight of the comparable 'standard' eVent Compression. They do offer an even lighter version in compression called the Ultra-Sil but the eVac Dry Sac is still lighter for comparable volume.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I didn’t watch the Snakey video, so I’m not sure what that thing is, but an easy stuff sack compression method that I’ve used from time to time is this:

Stuff your bag/quilt/whatever into the stuff sack you normally use for it. When done stuffing, set the stuff sack on floor or table and push down on the top of the stuff sack until it’s compressed to a height of your liking. Measure the new, compressed height and then sew a UL fabric band that’s wide enough and of sufficient circumference to allow it to be slipped over and around the compressed stuff sack. This fabric band will keep your stuff sack from expanding back to its original dimensions, thus keeping everything compressed. Pretty simple, and the fabric band typically weighs next to nothing.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

All last summer, fall and winter I used no stuff sack for my quilts — a-la-Clelland! — and found absolutely no downside at all.

Just stuff it in the bottom of the pack and let the weight of the gear on the top compress it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I am never in so much of a hurry that I have ever thought that I needed to pack up quicker, ever. I do not see that this idea has any real merit other than a gimmick that allows you to pack a bag quickly. A non existent problem in my case. Apologies to the OP. I had hoped that there would have been a separate thread started like I suggested.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

All last summer, fall and winter I used no stuff sack for my quilts — a-la-Clelland! — and found absolutely no downside at all.

No hiking in the rain? Or Canoeing/Pack rafting? Larger river/stream crossings? 36 hour Mountain Mists? Dew soaked trees dripping till 1200? Different areas, I guess.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Just guessing, but maybe no stuff sack, but inside a pack liner?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

that's what I do – it goes in the bottom of the waterproof pack liner, loosely packed. then i put my clothes and folded exped in there, roll it up tight, and then the food bag and stove and ditty bag go on top to smoosh it all down.

inside my seam-sealed Xpac backpack it's about as waterproof as it can be. And no stuff sack; I hate trying to back solid bricks in my pack. This way it takes up all the available space at the bottom of the pack.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

I tried using pack liners, trash compactor bags, garbage bags, etc as Clelland has in his book. But they always got punctured, popped, split or something after 2-3 days. A good idea, I could just never could get any of them to work. Besides, if I didn't compress stuff down a lot, then I would have to use a larger pack, say a 20oz pack, instead of the 11oz pack I use now.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use a Granite Gear Air compression sack if I must when volume is an issue. I like the Sea to Summit roll-top stuff sack for less compression and I do use a trash compactor bag for a pack liner.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

David, without using a band you can twist the remaining sack to stop expansion.

John Marie
    Spectator

@johnmarie

Friends, just would like to say your thoughts and critiques all much appreciated, thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools