Topic

PCT method question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Locale: deep south

I am practing the PCT bear bag method. I find the tying the knot up high very difficult. Any suggestions and/or descriptions of how to tie this bowline up high with the extra rope hanging?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The higher that you can tie the knot, the better. However, you just have to do what you can do. Either that or else bring along a basketball player.

–B.G.–

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Try this:

Use an "S" biner on the food sack.

Clip the food sack and the rope to the same side of the biner, leaving one side of the biner empty.

Hoist the sack and eyeball the spot on the rope where you want the knot.

Lower the bag and tie a small bowline knot where you want it.

Feed the line through the empty side of the "S" biner and hoist it again. The bowline knot should pass through the biner as you hoist.

Clip another biner onto the bowline and let the rope back out.

The second biner attached to the bowline knot will not pass through the biner attached to the food sack.

Voila!

Of course, you have to carry two biners.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31996&skip_to_post=271383#271383

Clove hitch tying while under a load:

1. Take stick (or extra stake, chop stick, spoon handle, etc) in right hand, reach over head, place stick parallel and left of cord, wrap upper end of stick around cord (back to right to front), turn stick perpendicular to cord (stick now has a single loop of cord around it); now you can control load with stick in right hand using right thumb on cord

2. With left hand (thumb down), grab cord below stick, turn hand up (thumb up), place loop on left end of stick

3. Tighten your clove hitch

For easier removal, it's best to use something smooth like extra stake, dowel, chop stick, skewer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"For easier removal, it's best to use something smooth like extra stake, dowel, chop stick, skewer"

I've found that it helps to throw a couple of extra loops of line around the stick on both sides when tying a clove hitch under pressure. It makes it a lot easier to control the load and also easier to untie the knot.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

This might be exactly what you are looking for, courtesy of your BPL premium membership:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_knotless_pct_bear_bag_hang.html

Will Webster

@willweb

I just tie a slipknot in the rope and put my stick through it. If the bag is too close to the trunk I'll tie off the end of the the rope to another tree and pull the slack out, so the bag is between the two trees. This means that the knot will be too tight to pull the stick out the next morning, so I break it at the knot.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

My PCT bear bag method (when bear canisters were not required):

Food in trash compactor bag.
    Put bag in tent.
    Sleep.

I had absolutely no problems with bears on the PCT.

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

I saw a video of this method on backpackertv.com. Went outside and practiced…pretty easy. Think I got it now….thanks to all

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Piper – That cracks me up! Much ado about nothing, huh?

I asked a buddy once what he was going to do with his food that night and he said "sleep with it".

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Well if I were hiking where bears and critters are a non issue I might want to do the same. But…heading to the Smokies so better get it right. Even raccons and chipmunks (mini bears) can be just as much a risk when it comes to protecting your food.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You do not need to do the PCT meathod in the Smokies. They have bear cables at all of the campsites and shelters already. I am not saying that it is a bad skill to learn as you have to hang anywhere else in the area outside the park.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You do not need to do the PCT meathod in the Smokies."

That's why it's called the PCT method. ;)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools