Topic

Please recommend a tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Please recommend a tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

My friend is in the hunt for a lightweight tent.

She has really enjoyed my Tarptent Squall (circa 2003), except for the fact that it has no headroom, and it's too easy to touch the wall with her down bag.

So here are the criteria,

* Three-season.
    * Fits 2 people.
    * Under 3 pounds or so.
    * Does not require any trekking poles.
    * Good headroom.
    * A used tent is great, if anyone wants to sell theirs to her!

I imagine her criteria would lead her to a single-wall tent or a tarptent.

Here's another idea she had: An inner tent made of mesh that allows her to see the stars (protects just from mosquitoes); coupled with an outer tent/rainfly.

Elizabeth

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Elizabeth,

The Scarp 2 comes close to having all of these, except it's 3 1/4 lbs without crossing poles. The crossing poles are only needed in snow, high winds, and for setting up the mesh inner by itself. I'm on the waiting list for one, and plan on experimenting with using sticks and staked guylines for setting up the mesh inner without the crossing poles. (I'll use a length of shock cord on each guyline to prevent too much tension on the mesh.)

The Golite Shangri-La 2 and 3 with the "nest" option might work, but that would also be over 3 lbs.

The Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 also comes close to the target weight, but with significantly less headroom than the above options. Big Agnes says the Fly Creek UL2 is just under 3 lbs, but with the same headroom penalty.

All of these options are double wall, so touching the wet sides of the tent shouldn't be an issue despite less headroom in some.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

The Tarptent Double Rainbow would be my choice given the criteria.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Their newest product is made to fit two + gear, and I think would have a total weight of around 2 pounds. Add a set of aluminum (or carbon fiber like what MLD sells) straight poles, and you pretty much have a double-walled tent in which you can pitch the inner and outer separately or together.

Jeffrey Beaupre
    BPL Member

@mule

Too bad about the trekking poles req.

I use an 8' x 10' sil-nylon tarp and a granite gear b"the haven" for a ground cover + mosquito barrier. Total weight is under 2 lbs, and not a particularly expensive system.

The Haven might be a tight fit for 2 people, but my labrador retriever and I fit snug as a bug in a rug.

I suspect you could get some telescoping poles in lieu of the trekking poles…

Good luck!

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Big Agnes Flycreek UL2

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Hi Elizabeth,

I would suggest your friend keep her options open to two person tents that use hiking poles. Tarptent, SixMoons, MLD all sell lightweight tent poles to use in place of the hiking poles in their tents.

Considering this also expands your options with used tents coming up on Gear swap.

Enjoy!

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I really find the Double rainbow hard to beat. I love the 2 vestibules and 2 doors, plus the weight of 41 oz is great.

If you want a little more room and don't mind paying $383 the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo looks very nice as well, but you need to get the poles for it separately ($60 for 2 and $13.50 for the stakes) if you don't use trekking poles. With poles and stakes it weighs around 45 oz.

Michael Wice

@robutmike

Hi Guys,

I have been following the thread, since I am also in the market for a new UL tent. I do really like the double rainbow design and weight. I am wondering if condensation is an issue. Most of my hiking and camping is done during the spring/summer/fall in Kentucky. It gets very warm and humid here.

Will this tent work for me? Or can you recommend something better?

Thanks!
    Mike

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I don't own a double Rainbow, but do have a Rainshadow 2.

Henry Shires, and the other tarp tent manufacturers make shelters that, from what I can tell all have good ventilation.

I have never experienced the condensation that others have talked about and I use it in very damp cool/cold conditions.

You do get some condensation in extreme weather, and I suppose if you make an issue about it, it will bother you.

It's kind of like any phobia, if you fear condensation, you may want to look at another shelter type.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Should have clarified that she DOES sometimes hike with a trekking pole. She just wants to have the option to not always take it…

So, a tent (much like my Squall) that offers a choice between using either a trekking pole or a tent pole supplied by the manufacturer…that would work.

Thanks for the insight there.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

If I wanted a tent for two adults, I'd most definitely get either the Tarptent Double Rainbow or the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. Having the separate entrance and vestibule/porch for each person is, IMHO, the ultimate luxury. No worries about waking your partner by stepping on his/her face when getting out of the tent at night!

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Well, I'm in the market for the same thing!

I've been looking between the tarptent, MLD, six moons, etc. and I think I finally found exactly what I'm looking for.

The six moons designs "haven" w/nettent. They sell poles, so she could take the poles when she doesn't use trecking poles, and when she is using treking poles, she can leave them home to save some weight.

The Haven is a double wall tent, with 2 entries, only weighs 2lbs.(one of the lightest I've found), and the tarp can be pitched before the net tent, so you don't get the inside of your tent soaking wet when you have to pitch it in the rain. And, if you want, you can pitch just the net tent when it's nice out, and have a great view of the stars.

Now, if I could only convince my wife to let me spend the money…

Tarp:
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=68

Net tent:
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=69

I'm pretty sure this is what I'm stuck on, unless anyone else can convince me otherwise…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools