Topic

Repair Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Repair Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Hey all,
    I know I asked this a while back but I don't remember the answer and cant find the thread.

Anyway, I have a Ti Goat bivy and the loop for raising the netting off the face brok off, leaving a hole in the netting. What is the best way to repair this? Or rather, the easiest way, like glue or something?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Daniel,

Gutermann thread.

1/2" grosgrain ribbon @ 2 to 2 1/2" long sewn into a seam of the netting.

Cut the grosgrain to size and singe the ends with a lighter.

Turn the netting inside out. Fold the grosgrain in half. Place the two cut ends of the grosgrain into the hole in the netting from the exterior of the netting leaving the loop of the grosgrain on the exterior side of the netting. Pinch the netting together capturing the doubled over grosgrain between the two sides of the netting. Use a 3/8" or 1/2" seam allowance and sew the loop of grosgrain into position. Lay the seam that you have just made over to one side and top stitch it down flat to the netting.

When you do the top stitch be careful to avoid stitching through the loop of grosgrain or bunching up the netting.

Hope this helps.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Thanks for finding my old thread and for your suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have any sewing tools nor any knowledge on how to sew.

On the old thread Seam Seal was mentioned as an adhesive to patch the hole. Is Seam Seal sold at fabric stores, Wally World, or the like? If not what other adhesives work well with nylon type material (common and can be found at a local store).

I only have a few days to get it fixed.

Thanks for any help.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Daniel,

If you have an Academy Sports location nearby you might be able to find what you need in their camping section.

I have seen tent repair kits in the location near my home.

I'm not sure what kind of seam sealers they keep in stock though.

Good luck with your repair.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools