Topic

What do you throw in at the last minute?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What do you throw in at the last minute?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I am curious. I have my own gear list with a base weight around 15-16 lbs but then I am always tempted to throw something in at the last minute before leaving. In my case I am always tempted to toss in another layer. What, if anything, do you feel compelled to throw in your pack even though it's not on your "gear list"?

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Sometimes if there has been alot of rain or snow and i know the ground will be really wet or cold, i will throw in my tripod camp chair that weights a whopping 26oz. I usually don't take it, but sometimes its really nice to have. My hiking buddies make fun of it, but they are quick to try and steal my seat when i get up for a minute.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

Here is a photo of my camp chair being "appropriated" by a cute young lady in our group… who could say no?

Larry's Chair being "appropriated"

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

1. 12 ounce bag of beef jerky (instead of 8 ounces that I packed)
    2. 12 ounce coke. (for the alcohol that I packed)
    3. extra lighter since I always wonder if I packed one the night before.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Actually, nothing. I start with a "master" gear list that includes every gear piece I own. I do all my thinking as I methodically delete stuff that I won't need. I then print out the result and pack accordingly.

David Ure

@familyguy

Gorp. I always bring too much Gorp!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I always throw in something cheezy,crunchy and salty (my food fix) plus one more beer becuase two 24oz-ers just is not enough!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

For me it is often a treat or two I bought at the store or Starbuck's on the way out of town. And those are usually the thing I love the most later that day ;-)
    I'd say otherwise it would be the layer I am wearing for the drive. I'll get out and be cold and think "maybe I should take this". And usually I do end up needing it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hmmm. I don't have a gear list at all. When packing for a trip, I just go up to the gear room, assemble the stuff I always take, then look about for anything I think I might need for that particular trip. So, for me, the real question is, what do I take more of than I need? And that's usually Clif bars (I eat so little while hiking during the day, but always bring 2 Clif bars per day, and always end up bringing a couple back home). I would be tempted to say I generally bring too much single malt as well, but we all know that's not possible.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

>>I would be tempted to say I generally bring too much single malt as well, but we all know that's not possible.

Unless you're hiking in Speyside…

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Extra booze and cheezy poofs.

Cheeze poofs are great. People always resist them at first they eat 1 then 5 then a fist full then suddenly everyone has their head in the bag. Puffed corn with cheese powder, or sorry, cheeze powder. Prett light weight but real easy to pound in to dust. Best consumed the first night.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

A book. An iPod. Another layer. My busting set.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

I always seem to take an extra beanie and a pair of gloves. I'm always thinking"what if I lose one or they get wet". Only an ounce or two, but they always seem to find their way in my pack.

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

A book or my homework. I always say, "oh yeah I'll have plenty of time to read all this," and then boom. No psychology read.

Always though, always spend the last few minutes before I leave putting new music on my ipod to listen to on the hike.

And I have a knack for forgetting a flashlight. So I always leave one in my car.

Anonymous
    Inactive

An extra packet or two of Perpetuem.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

It's always an argument with myself, whether to bring my Sling Light chair. I usually leave it at home. But when I do weaken I'm always glad to have a comfortable seat.

Sling Light at Piute Lake
    Sling Light at Piute lake, Emigrant Wilderness.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

My Slingshot or Tenkara Hane (sometimes both).

-Sid

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

If I bring my 10 year old son I always get nervous and throw one more thing in there to make sure he doesn't get cold.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

-more vittles and an extra beanie.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I tend to throw my flute or penny whistle in. Then I feel it's too much horrible noise to ruin the quiet of nature.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

If I have <100 pages left in the book I'm currently reading, I always toss in another book. Of course I don't think I've ever touched the 2nd book. Apparently reading doesn't make me any smarter.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Usually a warmer than necessary clothing layer, or a few more Red Vines in my trail snacks ration for the day. I usually stick to a strict 14- 16oz. per day food limit and sometimes it's so tempting to throw in a few extra treats, I'm a dude with a huge sweet tooth. Lately I've been wanting to cave and throw in a 3" thick insulated sleeping pad of the Exped variety, I just can't get myself to do that yet, nor do I own one so I suppose temptation is covered in that department.

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

When we get to the trailhead and there is a store nearby…in goes yet another pack of Mike and Ikes!!! Can't resist…must resist….can't resist!

couch

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

+1 for the Ikes, those are the best, I'm a fan, big fan! If Skittles weren't so dense and heavy I'd pack them, I can eat those like popcorn, handful after handful. I've thought heavily on what candy works for me out on the trail, Red Vines offer me the most satiation, caloric supplement and aren't terribly heavy. Jolly ranchers have become a new staple on trips as well. I've unfortunately had to rule out gummy snacks because they end up forming into a gelatinous mess by midday.

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

This is so embarrassing… A pocket (small) calculator. Mileage totals, gear weight reduction ideas (Oh here's one ..leave the calculator at home).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools