Topic

Leki Thermolite Trekking Poles – opinions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Leki Thermolite Trekking Poles – opinions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I would love to purchase a set of GG lightrek 4 poles, BUT it's just not feasible.

I am looking for a pair of trekking poles. This is what I am looking for:

– affordable
    – light-weight
    – adjustable
    – durable
    – no anti-shock
    – comfortable

I am thinking about buying a set of Leki Thermolites ($80-$90 on sale). They are under a pound and seem to meet my criteria.

Just wondering what others on here think. Opinions? Any better suggestions?

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I wouldn't consider them light. That said, I have a pair of Leki's that have been in use since the early/mid 1990s. They are bomb proof and trust them more than carbon fiber.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sure it'll take longer, be harder. Save up the money and get the LT4s. You know already that you want them. If you are willing to spend 90 bucks on your number 2 choice, you're almost there.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I've never had any luck with twist locking systems…..call me a loser now. I've had 2 pairs of twist locks, not GG, and they've both failed or are a pain to lock and unluck. I went to the extra wieght and now use non-twist locking system. LEKI calls it 'snap-lock'.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Save up the money and get the LT4s."

+1

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I'll be the black sheep and try to help you find some poles other than LT'4s (though I will admit, they are the sh*t, and worth the investment…maybe scour gear swap for a better price).

As far as getting poles that are lightweight and within your price range, how about these?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,97136_Komperdell-C3-Carbon-Trekking-Poles-Standard-Pair-For-Men.html

Sign up for their deal flyer email coupons, save anywhere from 20-30%, and you're set.

OR

Depending on how tall you are, you might be able to pull these off. They weigh 6.7 ounces per pole. My gf uses these, but they are long enough for me (5'9"). The grip is a bit smaller, but I still find them comfortable (size Med glove). The price is cheappppppp, and the weight is light, its a good alternative if it fits you
    http://www.rei.com/product/784268

Rei poles are made by komperdell as well.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I've had my troubles too. My Leki Super Makalu's hold great, but my GG LT4's almost always slip after fords or time in wet snow. Now when I get a good lock on my LT4's, I refuse to adjust them. Unfortunately this means I've spent quite a few nights with less headroom under my tarp solely because I didn't want to give up a good lock.

Roberto Requena

@rrequena

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I have the Leki Corklite Makalu poles (the 2008 version) and they're great. Sunnysports.com has them on sale for $69.95 with free shipping. They were $119.00 when they came out and some online shops are still selling them for about $90. Great poles. Keep in mind they are 16.2oz though (I weighed them myself). If that's too heavy than you'll have to look elsewhere. Hope that helps.

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Thanks everyone for your posts. I can't get my mind off of the GG poles, so I think I found a solution. I don't currently use trekking poles to pitchmy shelter. So, I think I am going to get a pair of GG LT3s. With fixed poles, I will not need to worry about the locking mechanisms slipping. I think I will also try to get a pair of Lekis or komperdells on sale or used from the gear swap to use on those trips that I might need the adjustable feature.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools