Topic

Need to quickly make tent pole for Golite Trig 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need to quickly make tent pole for Golite Trig 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I picked up a Golite Trig 1 the other day and want to take it out this weekend. But I don't use trekking poles. Any ideas on how to make a 2 piece pole that will work instead? I don't have time to order the parts and get them before the weekend. I do have things like fiberglass fence posts, steel and graphite golf club shafts, PVC tubing, laying around. Doesn't have to really light for this trip. Whatever will work. Ideas?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A while ago, the cheap plastic swivel-piece broke on a Swiffer sweeper, leaving me with 3-piece pole (the included 4th piece isn't really usable because of a non-removable handle).

The poles are actually pretty strong b/c each piece is short (about 10") with a 3/4" diameter. I'm guessing they are made of aluminum. They "seat" into each other about an inch (like a normal tent pole) and shouldn't come apart with downward force from a tarp and guylines. I removed a plastic clip inside each pole that attaches them b/c they seat so well onto each other.

Three sections of this pole measured almost 33" at 3.9 oz. To get 4 sections (around 43" tall), you might have to buy 2 sweepers. To carry them, throw a rubber band around the sections.

Btw, I never used these, they got thrown in the bottom of a gear bin. Your post just reminded me and they would be an o.k. replacement for those that forgot tent poles but could get to a store on the way to a trailhead.

Go to swiffer.com, click on products, and then swiffer sweeper. These are available at most stores like target and probably some grocery stores.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

We were taking the scrap aluminum to recycle and I came across some aluminum arrow shafts. It would be easy to join them together using a bolt with the head cut off. It's what I was planning for my myog tarptent. I am not completely sold on the trekking poles plus I bike-pack.

BJ

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Thanks guys. What I did last night was took some old golf shaft of various diameters and made a 3 piece pole by cutting the shafts in a way that they would slide in each other. Not pretty but it will work for now. Not sure how many times I'll use this tent anyway. I have a TT Rainshadow on order. It's only a few ounces heavier than this tent and a lot more room. Not sure I'd get me and my dog in the Trig.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Whats wrong with a good ol' stick laying on the ground?

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

That would work as well but I'd rather have exactly what I need with me then spend time looking for the right stick. Also, the Trig has a re-enforced cone in the canopy for the pole. I'd prefer to avoid putting a stick in there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools