Topic

Love at first sight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Love at first sight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

What gear have you tried once..fell in love with and are still using even though there might be newer or lighter options out there. This is gear you like so much you would not leave home without it. For me it is my CROCS and my DAM.

John Chan

@ouroboros

my arc ghost.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>This is gear you like so much you would not leave home without it.

My Hennessy Hammock/SuperShelter. A good night’s sleep is worth a bit of extra weight.

Montrail boots and shoes. Never had a blister. ‘Nuff said.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My Mountainsmith Ghost backpack. Very comfy and quick to pack/unpack.

Jordan Hurder

@jordanhurder

Locale: Southern California

My MSR water filter. Yeah it weighs almost a pound, but chemically-treated water just doesn’t have that refreshing taste that filtered stream water does.

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

I’d have to say that my (used) LuxuryLite pack is my prized piece of gear. The only downside, is that your SUL base weight might grow to merely UL as you find out that it can haul a luxury or two with ease.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

My ULA Conduit. or my ULA P2 both are awesome packs and I love them.

Oh and wait! If it with my wife then our Big Agnes SL3. Slept they other night at Relief Res. in Emmigrant and was happy as can be with this beauty. Wife loved it too.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Arcteryx Gamma lt pants. These have one main advantage over other lightweight pants out there… DURABLITY. I have seriously put these pants through the ringer and they still look as good as new. Other options you may have to baby so you don’t get a hole or tear (my featherlites come to mind) but not these. They are ABUSE PROOF! I wouldn’t wear any other pant for 3 season outdoor activity.

Roy

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

[Elmer Fudd voice] I wike my twekking poles wery much!

Black Diamond Approach in my case.

Antonio Abad

@tonyabad

I know I’m gonna be run out of these forums for this one: my 1.5″ thick, 3/4 length inflatable sleeping pad (Thermarest Explorer). It was used, in great condition and I bought from a local outfitter for $15 last year. It alone weighs as much as my backpack.

I was never really much into backpacking with inflatable pads, but it was cheap enough that I thought I’d check it out on a whim. Now I haul it along on every trip. The extra quality of sleep I get on is worth any guilt I get for bringing it along. ;-)

mario hosay

@silkroute

Locale: Upstate NY

Scarpa SL M3….

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

antonio, my husband would agree with you. he still carries a 3/4 length, 2″ thick thermarest LE. thing weighs nearly a pound, but he refuses to give it up.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

My smartwool jersey-weight zip tee. In fact, anything made of smartwool, heavy or not.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

gotta admit that I too have an 18oz. inflatable mat. A good nights sleep is quite important to me. Worth the weight alone. Funny that my pack weighs 22oz. It almost weighs as much as my pack…..arrrghhhh.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

PacerPoles

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Patagonia stretch zephyr jacket (I’m wearing it right now).

The stainless steel spoon with a can-opener on the end i got from A5 equipment in about 1987.

A gold one-cup coffee filter I got from the original starbuck’s in Pike Place Market (the one where the mermaid is (or was), um, showing a little more than in the pedestrian Starbuck’s logo).

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight A-Sym. There are lighter hammocks, but at 6′ 4″ and 210 lbs this one works for me. The comfort is hard to beat.

The Montbell Handy Scoop. This is great for cat holes. Using a stick would just add to an already compromised restroom experience. I wish they made this in titanium. I am about ready to make my own.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

JEEZ I hate to admit this. Smartwool boxer briefs. I tried them for a trail maintenance overnite — a hot weather (95X95 – that’s temp and humidity, y’all) excursion from hell. I can’t think of a nastier acid test of underwear. Wool drawers. Yeah. Sure. But they were wonderful. The felt dry and cool the whole time. Now I want more. Wool. Go figure.

Robert Ebel

@poop

Locale: Earth Orbit

My McHale 0-Sarc. I don’t leave home without it. I want to get another – you never know how long companies will be around!

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

My “Buff Multifunctional Headwear” has turned out to be THE item for me. Headband, Hairband, Bandana, Hat, Face Mask, Pot Holder, Towel, Wash Cloth, Pillow Case, Water Strainer, Napkin, Wrist Sweatband. Keeps me warm. Keeps me cool. Great colors. And all in 1 oz. of fabric. Learned about it on this website. Great!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Mark:

Do you really use the thing as washcloth AND pillow case???

Michael Doughty

@woebegone2006

I bought it thinking of it as a luxury, but being able to enjoy REAL coffee in the morning means it’s found a permanent place in my kitchen set up.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Hi all,
    Sounds like some well proven, light gear – exactly what we want to give Lightitude awards to! If you have some favorite lightweight gear, fill out a simple one-page Lightitude nomination form and send it in (click the Lightitude button on the left column of the homepage for the form).

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

1/ My Buff (actually both of ’em)
    2/ Icebreaker

PS what’s your DAM?

Eins

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Down-filled Air Mattress is my guess…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools