Topic

NeoAir – doubler and coverer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoAir – doubler and coverer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

1st Try

This weekend we came up with a quick solution for holding two NeoAirs together and providing a cover. Also wraps around both to protect them in pack.

Cut and sewed together a couple of pieces of Tyvek. Works really well. It is 8 oz. but we can cut off more of the bottom. Maybe will try another material, too, that can handle Deet.

neoair cover 1

cover 2

cover 3

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

George,

I like your idea of using a bag to hold both mattresses together. It should help protect the mattresses from punctures. I saw a post about "coupling" two NeoAirs togther on BPL, but they didn't respond to my question of how it was done.

I tried using a couple of loops of small diameter cord with cord holders, but the cord holders loosened up during the night, and we ended up with a 1-2 inch gap. I decided I didn't like the idea of a thin diameter cord that might cut into the mattresses so I just made two fixed length loops of 5/8" webbing. I haven't had a chance to try it out in the woods yet, but it only weighs 0.7 oz. I do like your idea of a bag for more protection. Both my NeoAirs have slow leaks now after many nights of use. I haven't tried attaching velco since I'm worried about what the adhesive might do to the integrity of the NeoAir.

Update: After a year of use my wife and I find the webbing works great. It has to be just the right size so it keeps the pads tightly together. Also, I fold the loop over into a figure eight around the pads with one loop of the eight around one pad and the other around the other pad. That keeps the pads from riding up on top of each other.

ross erickson

@themaestro

Locale: colorado

i love it!!! i do a lot of backpacking with my fiance and she hates foam pads. i want to get her a neoair but she would then be like 2 inches above me. so i need to get a neoair as well. and the doubler you made blows my mind! great job!

when sleeping on it can you really feel the center gap at all?
    peace
    .ross.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Very nice George! I will give that system a try-(MYOG)

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Hi Ross,

>> can you really feel the center gap at all?

No – gap pushed closed each neoair

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

So Tyvek doesn't handle Deet very well?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools