Topic

Alternative to MLD 850 ml pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alternative to MLD 850 ml pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Cost of shipping to New Zealand is too much, so I am looking for an alternative to the MLD 850 ml pot.
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=113.

As close in weight and volume as possible.

Thanks.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm getting less than $17 to ship to NZ for an MLD pot, first class mail. Doesn't, of course, include any fees on your end. FWIW. Of course, that $17 might be too much!

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I'm pretty sure MLD charge $25 flat rate for an international delivery. It's a screaming bargain if you're buying a Mid, a bivy, a pot and a couple of small things. It's actually not too outrageous for a $59 pot, and I think you'll struggle to get any retailer to deliver cheaper. You could try advertising in Gear Swap for a used one.

The other option is to try to source something from the UK. Much MUCH cheaper postage. eg the Alpkit MYTI Mug (750 ml, 110g) is listed at GBP25, but when they knock VAT off, and add postage to Australia on, it comes out at less than GBP27 all up. Thats about NZ$56. I'm guessing NZ postage would be very similar.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'd be happy to 'reship', but of course that pushes the shipping to $21 or less ($5 flat rate shipping to me). That's without insurance, which I don't think would be necessary. And I'm actually basing my cost projection on a 32-oz. package, don't see why I couldn't find a box small enough to make it a 16oz. package, which makes shipping $10.31, plus the $5 shipping to me.

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

You could try to get a MSR Titan Kettle 0.85 on ebay. Here's one for 44.95 + 27.50 dollars for usps priority mail international.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MSR-Titan-Kettle-titanium-backpacking-kettle-/310220548459?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a95e96b#shId

Ask them if they can ship it with the cheaper (and slower) "first class mail international" which would probably reduce the shipping cost by 50%.

Edit: spelling error

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

What about the Tibetan Titanium 900 (they have other sizes too). You can pick them up here:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/tibetan_pots_and_pans.

Not sure what shipping is, but it is an alternative

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I think Tibetan makes many of the UL Ti pots that we see BPL, MLD, etc. so while they might be "branded" here, you might be able to find the same pot under their brand elsewhere.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Wow – thanks to everyone. What a great community we have here.

@Mike
    W – The snow Peak looks perfect. It is expensive thought at 60 GBP.

@Rod
    – yes it's 25 bucks flat rate. As you say this was excellent value when I got my Duomid and bivy and not bad for the mug. However, I do have family in the UK that can ship me stuff at no cost, so the Alpkit MYTI Mug could be perfect and is great value.

@Douglas
    – Thank so much for offering to ship it on to me – very kind. I will look into other options a bit more and get back to you. If you ever need any possum down stuff shipped from here let me know :)

@Nathan
    and Bradford – Tibetan T have a 700 and a 900 mug and both are available form from http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk at a reasonable price.

@ Thomas – I will also have a look at the MSR Titan Kettle.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Jason,

Check the shipping direct to you. Because the VAT gets taken off, and shipping is so cheap, it's often only 1-2 quid more expensive than the listed price to get it shipped direct to you. Sometimes even cheaper than getting shipped to the UK.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Thanks for the reminder. I think this was how it worked out when I ordered a Shangrila 6 from them. They were great to deal with.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools