Topic

1000 miles without resupply

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 1000 miles without resupply

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I was just on Andrew Skurka’s Website and was looking at Some trips he had planned for the rest of the year.

one of his planned trips is Walking from Springer Mtn to Harpers Ferry via the AT (1,010 miles total) without a resupply

I thought the 600miles RJ will be doing was amazing, now this.

Of course, it wont be so remote, and he may not need as many calories, but still 1000miles without resupply

It looks like he is also attempting the Colorado Trail speed record without a support crew.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

What does “without resupply” mean? And what benefits does it offer?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ryan F.,

Yes Andrew’s proposed feat is amazing. Consider the difference in energy required for hiking a trail versus hiking cross country through Alaska. In that perspective the amount of food required would be about the same. The survival risks do to weather would be much greater in the Artic 1000.

Richard

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

On the AT, w/o resupply and carrying consumables for the entire jaunt does sound rather masochistic, given how easy it is to resupply at numerous points along the trail.

David, is your question rhetorical? It’s all about being a personal challenge( plus sponsership, status in the thru-packing community and free equipment :-)> ).

That being all said— I think it’s cool.

Robert Ebel

@poop

Locale: Earth Orbit

Given that he likes to go fast all the time and with light packs, I don’t see that he would be willing to build up to the heavy pack and very heavy load needed to do that. He’ll just get more bone fractures. If he has a problem now, just wait.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

What would be tough about this challenge is turning down trail magic, since it technically would be a “resupply.”

I’d think almost the opposite trip would be an equal challenge: hike a thousand miles on the AT feeding on the kindness of strangers. Probably it has been done.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

>>He’ll just get more bone fractures. If he has a problem now, just wait.<< I wouldn’t say that just yet. In 2000 I fractured the 4th metatarsal in my right foot and after recovery have since walked many miles with extremely heavy packs (60-80 lbs and sometimes two for short distances) without incident. Walking a thousand miles without resupply? Why not? Its a challenge. Roy

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Does that mean no food that’s not pre-purchased? Sounds tough to me! Especially heading through the NOC, passing up a pasta salad and hot dogs at Sloe Joe’s Cafe… or heading through Hot Springs without a huge burger at the Smoky Mountain Diner… or missing a big group breakfast at Miss Janet’s… or skippin the fish tacos at the Baja Cafe just off the trail in Damascus… and that’s just the first 500 miles.

With that in mind, I’m very impressed he’s even considering it. Should be a good one.
    -Mark

kevin davidson

@kdesign

yep–Ryan and co. won’t have that problem up in the Arctic.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Kevin… no… my question was an honest question. Does that mean you take all the food you’ll need for 1000 miles? You must have to catch / gather food from the environment in that case… no?

My second question might be better stated as “why?”

kevin davidson

@kdesign

And a honest answer, David—he will take all his food w/ him.
    weblink–
    http://www.matthazley.com/index.htm

I honestly feel it’s really all about setting a personal goal and striving to achieve it. We can question how worthwhile the goal and the means are but …

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

How is that even possible?! 1000 miles without buying, catching, gathering or accepting food? If that’s part of the 40 day AT trip… that’s 20 days of food to carry?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

My bad on confusing the 2 trips (Matt”s and Andrew’s).
    Can’t really answer your question, David. I would E-mail Master Skurka about it. I can only assume that the menu will be hi-protein and fairly monotanous. Lots of nuts and the like.

Ryan’s Arctic 1000blog has a good piece on food for long distances–
    http://www.ryanjordan.com/2006_arctic/2006/06/on_food_and_coo.html

Because of the off trail nature of the journey and the weather conditions, the caloric intake is going to be much higher a mi. than Andrew’s attempted feat on a trail route in much milder conditions.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools