Topic

BBQ out of Altoid Tin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear BBQ out of Altoid Tin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Hey, if you already know about making a bbq our of an altoid tin do not check this out. What Would Photon Make?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-eBq-BBQ-Grill-out-of-an-Altoids-box/

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

That's pretty neat.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

what is this, a bbq for ants?

Buck Stolberg
    BPL Member

@bstolberg

Locale: Harlem

It looks like a really neat idea. I applaud the ingenuity and application.

However, many 'bare metal' coat hangers are galvanized, and thus may be coated with zinc or cadmium from what I understand. They don't look hot-dip galvanized like the hardware cloth you buy in buy at Osh (or weatherproof nails, rough feeling to them) but they may have a toxic coating to them nevertheless.

There was discussion a while ago about using galvanized coat hangers as pot supports, and whether the first few burns would be bad for you. That is where I picked this up, and a little further web research. If you are welding galvanized metal, you have to be cautious of zinc fumes which can scar your lungs. Cadmium is supposed to be worse.

If anybody had a definitive answer as to the coatings of coat hangers, it would be appreciated.

Alternative: Steel or titanium bike spokes?

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

It must be at least… 3 TIMES THIS SIZE!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Interesting exercise, but I prefer my Altoids raw.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools