Topic

Ryan’s Journey

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Ryan’s Journey

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Zack, does that ankle brace stop “over” dorsiflexion, the cause of Ryan’s injuries?

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Zack, the ASO brace sounds good. A couple of questions about fit: Does it need to be professionally fitted, or is it DIY? Also, do the trail runners need to be a size larger to accomodate the brace?

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

No, it would do very little to stop dorsiflexion, but I don’t think that you could ever hike in anything that did. It only addresses rolling of the ankle to the outside or inside (depending on how you configure the figure-8 straps). It is to be worn straight out of the box and doesn’t require any upsizing of your trail runners. The only thing I would recommend is to wear it around town for a day before hitting the trail just to break it in a bit. Also, I wear two pairs of very thin sock liners while hiking, Fox River X-statics, so this may influence why I don’t need to upsize. During winter hikes while wearing thick wool socks my trail runners still feel fine but there is noticeably less room, but no discomfort.

Louis-Philippe Loncke
    BPL Member

@louphi

I consider myself a medium-lightweight hiker.
    (no selfmade gear yet, but expensive lightweight gear, no double gear, no spare clothes)

I did an adventure walk based on Ryan's journey's (based on the calory diet calculation) in Tasmania:
    49 kg (over 100 lbs) at the start but i walked for 47 days climbing 19 mountains, covering about 800miles maybe more.

i did not have many sponsors or time to built gear as i prepared everything in 1 month !!!

Report in MArch on http://www.Louis-Philippe-Loncke.com

(see adventures on site, also click ENGLISH flag for English language)

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools