Topic

Ryan’s Journey

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Ryan’s Journey

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I’m surprised at how few comments there are over at the Arctic 1000 website, or even here in the forums about Ryan’s journey. I’m wondering how many of you are aware that Ryan has his own blog and that he is covering his journey there. Just thought I’d point this out, just in case no one is aware of this.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I for one have been a regular visitant of his blog. The equipment, food, and route entries are worthwhile for most BPListas to read.

I suspect that some of the protype equipment they will be using may eventually find it’s way into production and sale. I’m eyeing the nano ‘mid for a future winter shelter.

Go, Ryan, go!

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I scan the Artic 1000 site a couple of times per day and have posted three times as Richard295 versus Richard Nisley on this forum.

Since I leave for a two month Alaska expedition on July 8, I find their expedition fascinating!

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

I noticed that Ryan dropped the name of the manufacturer of his mystery wood stove on his blog.

Check out Bushbuddy

Cheers,

-Mike

Patrick Baker

@wildman

Looks as though Ryan’s stove is a custom made BushBuddy whichs weighs in at 4 oz.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Check out the Arctic 1000 site—- Ryan sprained his ankle and continued stress put on it has caused him to abort and be flown out. His companions are continuing on.

Wishing him a speedy recovery and successful future attempts on future trips of this scale.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Experienced hikers know when it’s time to quit and how to accept the bitter medicine. Never let your ego write checks your body can’t cash!

My condolances, Ryan; I’ve been there too, and it sucks.

Wandering Bob

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

I wonder how many tens of thousands of miles Ryan has walked without an ankle sprain… but give an extraordinarily fit and capable walker a 50-lb pack and his risk of injury increased massively.

This is what I tell my friends about lightweight backpacking: your main piece of safety gear is your body. Every ounce you put in your pack causes risk to an expedition. Ryan didn’t have a choice but to carry a 50-lb pack; it’s amazing to think of all the people who carry 50 lbs because they think it’s better than carrying less!

Wishing you a speedy recovery Ryan, and remember that there are a lot of “Arctic 1000’s” that remain undreamed of.

Brian

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, I guess some will see this as proof why trailrunners are a bad choice and why heavy boots are the way to go.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

I don’t know if many people on this board are following the Arctic 1000, still. It’s now Day 12.

The rate of travel for the 2 continuing on (after Ryan’s mishap) seems to have slowed down—terrain seems a key factor. I suspect that they are not going to finish the route in 20 days—and perhaps not at all.

Much will be learned from this trip. However, generalities expressed by the armchair crowd are made w/o full knowledge of the facts and refect the ‘old skool” CW kind of thinking that is rather hostile to thinking out of the box. That hostility definitely has surfaced in the blog discussion board — see the ridiculous flamefest under the Day 9 entry.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Yeah, I fanned the flames a little myself. I had what I thought was a rather well worded post on footwear I was going to post, but thought better of it. It wouldn’t have changed any minds, and Ryan covered it well enough. I ended up treading very lightly, as it were. One of the posters, in particular, seems to have a grudge with Ryan. What bothered me was the notion that the trip should not have been publicized because imitators might be injured or die. Even worse was the lack of concern by some, for Ryan, Roman, and Jason, because of an apparent fixation on footwear.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Not to mention the firearms “discussion”, the bible quotations, blaming Ryan & company for “setting a bad example” and the machismo accusations.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Nothin wrong with the mountaineer quotations, right KD :-)

I have been very suprised with all the negative comments from people, mabey Ryan should have written some comment ethics for his site. Because it really is crazy how bad some people are getting on that site, I am glad we dont have to deal with that level of rudeness, self centeredness, and immaturity here.

I was going to post a few more things about my opinion on the advantages of lightweight footwear, gear, and fast and light backpacking, but thought better of it, My comments will remain here. I was afraid I would offend someone so left waht I had said alone.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

I had to laugh in disbelief at the bible quote. Certainly the bible must have something to say about killing bears. I’m still waiting for someone to say that they never go into bear country without a grenade launcher.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

The really appreciated your post in that thread, Ryan. The contrast between the posters that I recognized from this site, and many of the others was stark, to say the least. We (light weight enthusiasts) were portrayed as dogmatic when it was just the opposite.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

A Reading from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, “Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.” And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals … Now did the Lord say, “First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine Bear, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.”

— Monty Python, “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”
    newly retranslated and abridged by yours truly

:-)>

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Oh, that is choice! Thanks for the laugh. You’ve made my day!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

I couldn’t resist throwing the last on the fire on Ryan’s blog, Eric. I’m bad.

Roman and Jason did over 30 mi. on their lastest day, says the latest entry. Good for them.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

I am very glad you did. I am still laughing about it. “Monty Python is my copilot”, nice touch! Hopefully satire will not be totally lost on them.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I was going to post a few more things about my opinion on the advantages of lightweight footwear, gear, and fast and light backpacking, but thought better of it, My comments will remain here. I was afraid I would offend someone so left waht I had said alone.

I had actually written a careful defense of Ryan J., trying to figure out where anyone came up with the idea that he’s been railing against anyone, but, like you Ryan F. I thought better of it. I even feel like yanking the other two comments I made, especially the bear one, simply because I wanted to write something of reconciliation rather than controversy. I guess you can’t have it both ways. Like you Ryan F. I just cannot understand the rancor going on. What did Ryan J. do to deserve such vehement disagreement?

“You are all individuals!”
    “We are all individuals!”
    “Er…I’m not.”

Life of Brian

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Miguel and others.

Have you all noticed how quite I have been through all this.

I loved the Satire.

I also have a great love of “the Bear” that goes back to my Boy Scout days and reading a lot of American Indian lore.

I think it is great when someone can plan and execute a hike such as what Ryan and crew has done. I would be happy to just be able to get out on the AT for 600 miles.

I was really sorry to hear about Ryan getting hurt and I hope they all get back safe. I look forward to reading about this hike how ever they decide to share it with us, in a new book or just a series of articles someplace.

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

On a more pedestrian note, I have heard that the evil ankle-twisting spirits can be deterred by wearing plastic ankle braces in conjunction with lightweight footwear. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of these? (The braces, not the spirits). If so, are they efficacious and comfortable enough to be worn for long distances? Powerful montypython incantations for warding off ankle-twisting spirits would also be appreciated.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I have a long history of ankle sprains and the subsequent physical therapy. It was suggested to me by a therapist that I try the ASO (Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis) ankle brace. I have since become a firm believer in mine and the confidence it has given me to pursue hiking in trail runners. I have since worn one for the Colorado Trail and the Continental Divide Trail (one wore out and had to be replaced in the middle of the trail). They fit excellently in a trail runner, make it virtually impossible to roll your ankle, and are very comfortable. I highly recommend anyone with ankle issues to check them out. And on the ultralight side, a trail runner and the ASO brace still weighs far less than a boot.

Scott Lloyd
    BPL Member

@scottlloyd23

Locale: Swedish Lapland
    kevin davidson

@kdesign

A little river crossing drama in the latest report on the Arctic 1000 blog.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools