Topic

A philosphical question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique A philosphical question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"I'd like to be known as "A man living his Ideals.""

Too easy.

In this case, one must merely pursue ideals that are not too lofty to live.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"one must merely pursue ideals that are not too lofty to live."

Hmmm, like Henry David Thoreau??

Moose. Indian.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thoreau sure did have a lot to say about living a life that would've been luxurious (if not simply common)- to most people on Earth at that time.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yama – ""I'd like to be known as "A man living his Ideals."

Craig – "Too easy. In this case, one must merely pursue ideals that are not too lofty to live."

Well, let's take this all the way. Believe that everything is illusory. Zero ideal mean zero disappointment. Buddhist nirvana, anyone?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

" Zero ideal mean zero disappointment. Buddhist nirvana, anyone?"

That is not to say that practicing Buddhists do not have ideals that they aim for in their pursuit of nirvana. Compassion, loving kindness, sympathetic joy, tolerance, patience. mindfulness, selflessness, and yes, also equanimity are just some of the many ideals of practicing Buddhists.

At least Buddhists are clear about what they are running from…suffering!

Edit: It just occurred to me you may have been referring to Zen Buddhism, in which case you are correct in that the "ideal" is no ideal.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Running away from concrete and sodium vapor lights. Running toward wildflowers and stars.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"In this case, one must merely pursue ideals that are not too lofty to live."

Isn't an ideal, by definition, like infinity, in that it may be approached but never attained?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I don't run. Not for planes, trains or automobiles. Walking, on the other hand is the way to go. A good sailboat and a fair wind notwithstanding.

Supermax at speed
    Supermax at speed.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

there is still an ideal, basically the same as other Buddhism: enlightenment. In Zen/Ch'an it's just a different approach and methodology. "Turning the eye inward," a sort of recognition of the innate buddha nature from within, rather than through verbal/external practice and focus, as with most other approaches. It's not getting caught up, like Hamlet, in "words, words, words," not looking for a specific path or way. Koans–the famous "sound of one hand clapping" or "face you had before you were conceived," etc. are intended to aid the practitioner in recognizing the futility of thinking systematically or linguistically and perhaps gaining an objective view of their subjective mind, perhaps leading to a dissolution of the barrier between object and subject (which is a Taoist notion infused in this branch of Buddhism). It's, perhaps, like the empty spaces between the notes that Miles Davis called attention to. I'd like to think there is something of it in the spontaneous "ghee" laugh and smile of an infant.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

precisely.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Beige? Is that like Kahayki?

I'll ask Julien.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Notwithstanding those who love beige…

Beige is the parent color for the following exciting color choices: "drab", "buff", "tan", "ecru", "khaki", and "sand".

Beige is essentially the average color of the universe (aka "Cosmic Latte").

Who could forget the fascinating and often controversial "Summary of Commentary on Current Economic Conditions", published by the Federal Reserve Board, and known as The Beige Book.

In addition, 75% of the cubicle walls in America are beige in color, since beige wall decoration has been shown to reduce emotions in the workplace. Kind of like elevator music.

Erm, oh yeah, the original IBM PC had a beige box.

So, truth be told, I am running away from beige. :-)

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

High-fructose corn syrup

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Uh oh. My hiking pants and windshirt are beige.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

The worst day in the field is better than the best day in a cubicle.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"The worst day in the field is better than the best day in a cubicle."

Yeah, until we get laid off and can't find a job!! Not criticizing your post at all, Rakesh, but just pointing out one all-too-common human trait — viewing grass as greener on the other side of the fence.

We long for the green jungle and we're 'stuck' in our urban jungle. But ask any of the Chinese or Vietnamese worker if they want to walk 50 miles through the jungle hauling the pack they just finished sewing — and they'll think you're nuts!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"Yeah, until we get laid off and can't find a job!! Not criticizing your post at all, Rakesh, but just pointing out one all-too-common human trait — viewing grass as greener on the other side of the fence."

Unless you make for yourself a job that requires being out in the field… like I'm doing :)

This isn't a case of the grass is greener on the other side, it's a case of there isn't any grass at all on this side.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Now I've never worked in one, but I'd imagine there are no good days in cubicles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Now I've never worked in one, but I'd imagine there are no good days in cubicles."

Sure there are, like when the EMT's haul your #$@#^#$ boss out on a gurney after his coronary. ;))

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Dennis…..what lake is this?

Sailing

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Millerton, behind Friant Dam on the San Joaquin River, out of Fresno. It was blowing pea gravel across the parking lot and I was afraid we'd break something or capsize. We were out for a photo shoot and wouldn't have launched if not for that. It was so rough the photo boat just motored in place while we beam reached back and forth.

We raced that boat from 1974 to 1992.

Supermax - Lake Oroville - 1977
    Supermax at the Commodor's Regatta, Lake Oroville, CA

Jack Sharkbite

@trailscum666

Locale: pacific nw

I go for bloody ADVENTURE, man!!! There's just too much falsity and, well, humans man!! Where are the great adventures that cowboys had? The adventures from hundreds of years before, where a traveler might encounter just a lightning storm and it could mean life or death! When your out there, you have to use your animal instincts and wits…im running from this screwed up reality im bombarded with almost everday from the moment I wake up till my head hits the pillow. Im running towards whatever might happen that will make me feel alive. Whatever ensures me that this world is real.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Denis,
    Where did you get that old picture of Chevy Chase in a sailboat?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

When I was 40 I had hair… And a waistline.

(8-)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

These Damn shoe people!!

What spammer?
    :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools