Topic

A philosphical question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique A philosphical question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Just what are you running away from anyhow?

Me? I live in an apartment, so my answer would be car alarms. Hate the buggers.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Beige… I am running away from beige.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Me?

Car alarms, crackheads and panhandlers, cement, claustrophobia, social classifications and externally imposed identity, politics, modernity and its trappings . . .

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chipmunks, marmots, robber jays, and The Idester. They're all out to cop my stash.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Running away from? Nothing. I'm running because I'm trying to catch up to Tom Kirchner! Fast bugger, he is…..

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm not running away from anything. I'm running towards something.

Towards the experiences that will become my story. Towards what I believe will make me a better man. Towards what I think will matter.

I love October- I must remember that I might only have 50 more.

It's time to start running faster.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

What have you forgotten?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"It's time to start running faster."

Nicely put, except that I'd say that it's time to slow down. Slow down and ensure you learn from the experiences that add to your story, doing so helps you to better understand what makes you a better man. If you're always running, you're liable to run right by what really matters in your haste. If you only have 50 more Octobers, and you run through each of them, you'll have wasted every one of them.

Walk, don't run, forward, and be open to the opportunities of what something might be. If you run too fast toward anything, you might just miss the something you really wanted/needed.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Running from beige. that's awesome. beige kills.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"Just what are you running away from anyhow?"

I haven't been able to run since I crushed my ankle.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I run away from complacency and ignorance……which also means I'm running away from a large percentage of the U.S. population. Could be why I backpack….

Oh yeah, and beige also. Gives me the willies.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

I happen to like beige-it's a very "stealth" colour in certain environments. Come to think of it, my skin is kinda beige, so just as well I'm not running away from it!

BTW, Black is the new beige.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm running because I'm trying to catch up to Tom Kirchner!"

Et tu, Dougster? I'm adding you to my list!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Nothing outside of boredom. I go for the fresh air, the sun light and the feeling of being relaxed truly.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I'm not running away from something, I'm running to those areas that, for whatever reason, man has decided not to ruin. In northeast Ohio, I have yet to find any view of scenery that doesn't have at least a power line running through it, usually there's many more signs of man than that. Once you realize that, it starts to drive you a bit mad, and you have to go get reassured that there is still a place unspoilt.

So I run to those places that allow me to see what no man can build, and to show my son what this world should look like.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>So I run to those places that allow me to see what no man can build

Eloquently stated. Well done.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Running from? I was done with running 31 years ago when I first landed in LA and discovered a place blessedly free of giant flying cockroaches so prevalent in my original homeland.

Living in LA LA Land and lovin' it.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"I was done with running 31 years ago when I first landed in LA and discovered a place blessedly free of giant flying cockroaches so prevalent in my original homeland."

Oh, I didn't realize you're from Queensland!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

LOL… Taiwan, actually. Love it — except for the cursed roaches.

I've a 5-month south and southeast Asia trip planned for later this year. That whole place is at once compelling and repelling to me. I wish I didn't have this phobia. Sigh.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Love it — except for the cursed roaches."

When in SE Asia, do as the SE Asians do: marinate 'em, skewer 'em, grill 'em, and snarf 'em down. Remember, if it moves and its back is to the sun…. ;}

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Best way to confront your fears: Get a pet like This One!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

When Mr Zheng picked his nose, he may have driven the insect further inside.

Gotta love the graphic frankness!

I'm running from all responsibility! You never know when they'll recruit you to actually participate on the weekends, when I just want to be out there, out of range of the cell towers.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Lynn:

I am not clicking your second link! :)

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

Sprinting TOWARD my Kierkegaardian Existential Erfahrung. I would dislike myself greatly if I were even 1% hypocritical or counterfeit. I'd like to be known as "A man living his Ideals."

At times I do feel as though Iā€™m leaving behind those who don't appreciate. Additionally Im leaving behind those who assume that since we speak the same language and look similar that we are the same.

But 75% of the time it is the former.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools