Topic

I have GOT to get a new tent.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I have GOT to get a new tent.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Just adding up the weights before we go on a 27 mile loop hike in a couple of weeks. I've changed some things from our previous trip. I was carrying roughly 25+ pounds (my first time out, actually) and the wife was carrying a little less than 20.

Well, even with 4 days worth of breakfast and dinner (haven't gotten lunch figured out/weighed yet) she's down to 15 pounds. I could join her there if our tent didn't weigh 7 lbs. (I carry the tent) It's a beautiful, roomy Nemo Losi 3P, but it's more akin to car/base camping than backpacking. We could split up the weights, but my legs do have a bit more muscle than hers (cycling).

I've got my eye on the Haven tarp + net tent combo.

But I am at 20 lbs., so it isn't all bad. She's only carrying a little over a pound of equipment that I would need if I went solo.

If I were working with the SMD Haven tent and on a solo trip, I'd be at 16 pounds before food. Sounds like a nice enough goal.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I haven't seen a Haven in person, but we own a Lunar Duo from the same company and it's just a great tent for two people. Fully loaded with six stakes and a stuff sack it's 45 ounces. The interior size has to be seen to be believed, and it has two doors and two big vestibules.

The first backpacking trip we took, a four day hike in Virginia in very pleasant late-May weather about 15 years ago, I carried 65 pounds and my lovely wife carried 45. I would say your first trip was pretty light in comparison to most every hiker I know.

But, yeah, at seven pounds you need a lighter tent.

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

To be fair, Nemo's site says 6.5 pounds packed (stuff stack, stakes, etc.) and the scale I use is a digital bathroom scale that is crappy at lower weights. So I did the stand on the scale then stand on the scale while holding trick and got 6.5 pounds.

Still, need a lighter tent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jonathan,

You might consider taking a look at some of the Tarptents over at tarptent.com. The Double Rainbow and Cloudburst are both excellent 2 person tents at 2# 8 oz and 2# 6 oz, respectively. The only downside is that they are single walled and, therefore, prone to condensation in high humidity areas. Tarptent also makes a double wall tent, the Scarp 2, which would perform much better in humid conditions. It weighs 3# 4 oz.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

JUST POSTED: on 05/16/2010 06:06:37 MDT

****OUT THE DOOR SPECIAL****

Black Diamond HiLight Tent with Vestibule – “1ST Generation”

LOWERED TO:

****BOTH for $310 plus $20 shipping CONUS ****
    OR
    (- – – BEST OFFER – – -)

Pay Pal or USPS Money Order Accepted
    Please contact me at [email protected]

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

> I've got my eye on the Haven tarp + net tent combo.

Hi Jonathan,

I just got my Haven tarp and net combo last week.
    It is very nice. Dead on the advertised weights.
    It goes up quick. Loads of room for two. Two side doors
    and two vestibules that are not as large as Lunar duo,
    but plenty big for a pack and your boots.

For me the big pluses are:
    – I backpack in places with high humidity so the double wall really helps manage condensation. I am always having to wipe down the inside of my single wall tents.
    – Being two pieces, I can just carry the tarp going solo if I want to go lighter.
    – Great views and breeze with both sides of the tarp open.

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

I hear you on that one. I camp primarily in the south (oklahoma/arkansas area) so humidity is a big issue.

No offense to Tarptents, but it gets real old real fast when a poster asks for a lightweight 2 person tent and even after specifically mentioning they would like a double wall, seven people here chime in with a link to tarptents and the assurance that "condensation isn't really that big of a deal."

That's why I'm really digging the Haven combo. Satisfies both needs in a great package.

Sorry is this post sounds hostile, but I can almost clock the amount of time it takes a tent thread here to turn to tarptents. They are indeed great products, but they don't work for everyone.

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

I've got myself down to 17.7 pounds "pack weight", 20 pounds total with poles and clothes on my body (and a knife I carry in my pocket).

She's down to 16 pounds "pack weight" with about 4 pounds of food and these 1 pound 3 oz. sandals she insists on bringing instead of flip flops. And 17 pounds total with poles and clothes on her body. So her pack weight will be down to a sleek 12 pounds at the end of the trip.

This is for a 4 day trip to Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas.

And actually, I just realized I don't have our shoes listed in those weights. Maybe a pound a pair? They are Merrel trail runner type shoes. And of course we'll have about a liter or so in our hydration packs as well. So I guess add a few pounds to each of those weights

I think we're doing alright for such a huge tent thrown into the mix. If I can save some scratch for the Haven, we can split things up a bit more and start getting seriously light weight.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

"No offense to Tarptents, but it gets real old real fast when a poster asks for a lightweight 2 person tent and even after specifically mentioning they would like a double wall"

Sorry, I didn't notice where you said that in your original post. I will retract my suggestion of the Lunar Duo.

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Well, to be honest, I didn't really mention it in this thread. But I do see it often where a poster asks for a lightweight doublewall option and everyone goes straight to tarptents.

I mean, honestly, if I could get away with it, I would. Tarptents are great products and a great option if it meets your needs. That's why it's such a popular suggestion.

If anything, this is more of a standard internet thing. Lots of people (including myself) might give a suggestion without reading the original post thoroughly. It happens.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Just remember that Henry Shires does sell a double wall – the Scarp 2, that Tom Kirchner mentions above. I think he also sells a liner for the Rainbow to aid with condensation. Don't know how good it works, perhaps others do.

FWIW.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If anything, this is more of a standard internet thing. Lots of people (including myself) might give a suggestion without reading the original post thoroughly. It happens."

It just happened to you. IF you had read my entire post you would have noticed that I inquired as to whether humidity was an issue and, if it was, perhaps take a look at the SCARP 2 which IS double wall. I just went back and read your original post, which is vague to the point of inviting recommendations for just about any type of tent.

If you're going to ask for suggestions here, accept them in good grace and act on them as you will. Otherwise ask elsewhere and stop wasting helpful people's time as far as I'm concerned.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools