Topic

Custom Name/Logo Patch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Custom Name/Logo Patch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some stores sell all sorts of embroidery patches for police, military units, etc.

A friend of mine is heading out onto a long thru-hike soon, and they want a custom patch with a "trail name." They are looking for something about 1.5"x3" with a name and logo. An embroidered patch is one idea. Something silk-screened with paint is another idea. What is the easiest way to get one made without breaking the bank?
    –B.G.–

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Check out http://www.1800nametape.com/ – simple name tapes are $1 a piece, more complicated ones maybe $2. No logo, but names on camo or plain colors?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

That looks like a good source for plain name tapes.

I'm going to look for something with a logo.

Iron-on T-shirt transfer paper is easy, but I don't know if it will get good permanent results that are fine-pitched.

–B.G.–

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Set up cost will be the biggest component, but I'd ask at an embroidery place in a local mall. They may be able to use a computer image to set up and sew. Less colours=less expense

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Most military surplus or uniform supply shops will embroider name patches for cheap. I had to have patches made when I was an EMT and did it at a surplus store that catered to security guards, EMTs, etc.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

If you want a custom patch with a logo most shops want a minimum order of fifty or so. If you just want one or two you're going to have to find a cottage manufacturer or something.

I think this place:

http://www.colorpatch.com/

does small orders, but the patches aren't embroidered- they're printed.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

For cost purposes, I will try a DIY printed transfer. If that doesn't work out, I'll have to pay the price for a real patch.

–B.G.–

tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

I can embroidery you a patch. The problem is digitizing it. What are you looking for?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I just finished it.

I laid out a design that is about 1" x 3.5" with a black background, red lettering, and an image of about 0.6" x 0.9".

I printed ten copies of that onto one sheet of Avery Dark Fabric Transfers. I cut one transfer copy out and carefully laid it over a black patch. Well, actually, it is not a black patch. The fabric was supposed to be cotton, but the only thick black stuff I had laying around was black grosgrain webbing (which is nylon). The transfer was ironed on, and the heat really melted it into the nylon texture. In fact, the nylon was slightly seared from the heat, which blended the edges of the transfer nicely. I heat-seared the cut edges of the nylon also, just to avoid unravelling. The finished product is ready to sew onto clothing now.

The Avery 3279 package was $10 for five sheets, and I can get 50-100 transfers out of those.

–B.G.–

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools