Topic

hillenberg atko

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) hillenberg atko

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Burke
    BPL Member

@three5s

Locale: Bluegrass

Can get one like new, used twice (9.5 out of 10)for $275. 2008 model I think. Is this a good deal. I have been looking for a Hubba HP but this deal has me intrigued. Wanting a early winter tent. Dont know how the Akto can stand up to snow with just 1 pole but, what's your take???

Warren
    BPL Member

@icensnow

Locale: New England, USA

The current price is $420, so price is good providing that the condition is as represented.

The Akto is a four season tent with its "standard" inner tent. Hilleberg just recently introduced an optional 2nd inner tent that is all mesh. The two can be swapped one for the other, depending on season.

The only winter weakness that the Akto has is with static snow loads. If there is no wind and a lot of snow piles up on it, the single pole can be overwhelmed. A designed in option to deal with this situation is to use a 2nd pole, in the same sleeve with the first. This double polling helps, but I can't say if it completely solves the problem?

Good luck whichever you choose.

Wayne Burke
    BPL Member

@three5s

How much snow would be a lot or to much?? I know it would depend on how wet the snow. I was thinking the snow might mash the tent down around the foot section. Other thoughts on this??

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

$275 is a great price for any Hilleberg tent, if in reasonably decent condition.

One other weakness of the Atko, though – it's tough to sit up. Impossible if you are close to my 6-4 height. If you don't have that problem (because you are shorter or don't mind), I'd go for it

Wayne Burke
    BPL Member

@three5s

Sitting up will not be a problem. I'm 5ft 4.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools