Topic

Snowshoe Daypack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snowshoe Daypack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

wouldn't the stratos be a bad option for winter since its not directly on your back and snow can blow between you and the pack?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

not sure- I've used my Exos on longer trips where it was snowing w/o any problem- it's very close to your back, just guessing the Stratos is similar- sounds from some of the above posts like other possible issues though

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

I used a trampoline style backpack for a few trips last winter and found it to be very cold. My hydration bladder also froze, there is just enough space for the wind to run though and really cool things off. I won't use anything that has a gap between my back and the pack, it is just a bad idea in winter.

I bought 2 winter specific day-packs and think they are both well made.

First is the Mammut Spindrift 30 (I actually have 2 of them, bought 1 used without a frame sheet and one new). It is bomber pack and has about every feature you would want for cold weather and is perfect for snowshoeing.

I also bought a BCA BC Stash Rider from Backcountry.com, on sale for $80 and a great bargain. Seams like a pretty good pack, geared a little more towards snowboarding but should work for snowshoeing.

http://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-access-stash-bc-rider-backpack-2135cu-in

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that spindrift does look nice- a little bigger than what I would typically need, but a nice looking pack nonetheless :)

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

It really is a great pack. I got the 40L version 2 years ago and it is great, but a bit big for day hiking but just right for a winter overnight. The 30L is perfect for day hiking for me.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

I just did a review of my new Osprey Kestrel 32 which I bought specifically because it will carry my snowshoes. The "straightjacket" compression straps can be unbuckled from the sides, then, brought around the front of the pack and snapped in to hold snowshoes. Here's my review

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i dont want to overly comment on this thread … but one thing i noticed is that a lot of the referred to daypacks weight over 1 KG

for me personally … i would never get/use a daypack over a kilo … at that point my 38 L climbing pack which is built for ice and alpine becomes my daypack … it weights 1.3 kilos loaded and less than a kilo stripped … and has a really good compresion

i think that if you already have a sub 1.5 kilo 35-45 litre pack with solid compression straps and somewhere to stuff a shovel you dont need another daypack

if you can find one under 750 grams thats another story ;)

just my opinion … but of course im so poor that i sleep in cardboard boxes

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Jason- thanks for the link- looks like a nice pack, they have a 28l that would probably be a little closer to my needs

^ 750 grams is about spot on what the Talon 22 weighs :)

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools