Topic

New TT Sublite Sil 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New TT Sublite Sil 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

>>Is Henry doing the TGO challenge?<<

Yes, he is =)

Like the look of the new Sublite, but also would prefer it in Tyvek.

Re: Breaking trekking poles, I'm with Miguel on this, I don't see how someone who's a bit careful with his gear can break a pole while walking with it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Re: Breaking trekking poles, I'm with Miguel on this, I don't see how someone who's a bit careful with his gear can break a pole while walking with it.

You break it when you start to fall down and plant the pole to save yourself. It bends, but prevents you from falling. Additionally if it's carbon,it snaps.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

You break it when you start to fall down and plant the pole to save yourself. It bends, but prevents you from falling. Additionally if it's carbon,it snaps.

That could happen, too, true. There have been times when I was descending along a rocky trail and the end of the hiking pole got caught in a crevice. I had to be careful to pull the tip out before it broke.

I am not just careful with gear, but with the walking itself. It may sound funny, but I walk as if I were dancing; every step I take is placed as carefully and accurately as possible. I try to make my walking into something artistic and athletic, so that I move both as gracefully as I can manage and with as little wasted energy as possible. No super wide steps as I ascend, no heavy, thumping landings as I descend. I try to keep my legs bent a little and to use my entire gamut of muscles as I walk, so that the progress is smooth and well-balanced. I constantly tell myself to focus on what I am doing and to not get distracted, along potentially hazardous sections, by things like my camera or conversations with partners. These are to avoid injury, to make the movement conscious and deliberate, and to not be so battered at the end of the day that I can'T move well anymore. That is why I go as lightly as possible and why I like wearing trail shoes. They allow me to move gracefully and to not overly rely on my hiking poles for balance and safety. Therefore the poles don't break.

It took a very long time to learn to do properly, but learning to walk the right way has changed the way I see mountains. For instance after learning how to use the tops of the rocks on the trail as a kind of level "walkway" or, when descending, as a kind of "ramp", instead of thumping along up and down over and around the stones, I found that I am able to walk much more smoothly and with less stress on my knees. I can also move quite a bit faster than fellow walkers, without trying any harder. I'm always surprised that no one talks about how to walk on these forums. There's technique to it, but most people just seem to kick along the same way they do in town.

Sorry about the OT post…

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

BTW, oddly I had the shelter for about 4 years before I heard of anyone having problems.

Hi Franco. As you know we both got first generation Rainbow at the same time. In my review back then of the Rainbow I found seam sealing to be a major hassle, especially with the apex pole sleeve. I, too seam seal from the inside (and now from the outside as well) and that part was definitely the hardest, since the entire cordura sleeve absorbed water and leeched it into the seam. The new configuration avoids this problem.

I'm just curious, is the new configuration just as taut as the earlier one… the photos make it look kind of "luffy".

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Re: Miguel,

I've always thought the first generation Rainbow looked more taut than subsequent versions, with the zipper going up the center right up to the apex pole. I wish there was a way Henry could conjure up a way to do that while still having the apex vents. I can see why he had to change his design to accommodate the vents, but still, there's just got to be a way… =)

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Miguel, great way of describing your method of walking, and to be honest, I do that too. I look at a specific rock and its characteristics before putting my foot on it. But heres the catch for me…I get so focused on this that I tune out my surroundings (i.e. the view all around me). Striking a balance between both has been difficult.

Oh, I also had a question for you on the thread where you talked about your golite peak.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Hi Konrad, yes, I got your question… I'm cutting it really close getting ready for work here (just don't want to go! Ahhhh!) and so have to wait till later to properly get back to you about the peak. But I will, don't worry!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

" I'm always surprised that no one talks about how to walk on these forums. There's technique to it, but most people just seem to kick along the same way they do in town."

Almost as surprising is that no one talks about how to breathe.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

'the photos make it look kind of "luffy".'
    Is that a feature ?
    AND NOW AVAILABLE IN LUFFY
    we don't have Manga here so I have no idea of what that is….

Rainbow 2010

OK I set it up and took some shots of the 2010.
    As I was doing it it started to rain. In the meantime my tent inspector had noticed that one tie out point was not set correctly. Too bad.
    Franco

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

How silly of me. I thought that you might have had another late night up reading Monkey D Luffy
    Franco

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Your game Franco,

I once made the mistake of setting up one of my tents where my cats could get to it and one climbed up the outer and one climbed up the inner, never again.

Tony

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Pip is 15 years old. She sleeps with me inside the tent or in the vestibule (at home…)

Maybe we should talk about the Sublite Sil now.

Franco

Ben Gregory

@bengregory

Since we're talking about poles, could someone please confirm that Henry's poles (of the correct length) would do to support a smd lunar duo?

I'd just rather use easton than carbon if possible.

Thanks!!!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Peter,
    It may be that some hiking poles will bend rather than break, but most of the newer pole alloys will splinter just as if the poles were made of bamboo. Aluminum poles used to bend, and I picked them up cheap at ski sales to use making camp chairs. All the ones I have seen lately splinter just like the carbon. Worse, actually.
    As far the the force required is concerned, a Rigid brand ratchet tube bender will shatter just about anything that won't bend. (For a long time, I thought that Nurse Rachid in "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest," was Nurse "Ratchet").
    I agree with your point that if the tent requires hiking pole(s) to pitch, you are outa luck if your pole breaks while hiking; but like some others, I initially misinterpreted you to be talking about the pole breaking under stress while holding up the tent.
    Sam

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools