Topic

5 Night/6 Day Trip in Montana

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 5 Night/6 Day Trip in Montana

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Roane
    BPL Member

@chrisroane

Locale: North Rockies

Hi,

I'm putting together a small group to do a 5 night/6 day trip somewhere in Montana in early August (5th-10th).

At this point, it looks like the Lake Plateau region in the Absorka-Beartooth Mountains will provide the most options for a trip like this. However, does anyone have any recommendations for different trails for this much time? The key is that we want scenic locations (my dad is a photographer) and pretty good fishing.

At this point, I have three confirmed people (including myself) going on this trip. But it would be great to have four or five total people go on this trip. If you are interested, let me know! Just as an FYI…we don't plan on putting on more than 12 miles per day, but we might do some bushwhacking and potentially go to "strenuous" locations.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Chris, I might be interested. Would depend on my unpredictable work schedule, so I won't be able to say for a while.

Southern Yellowstone comes to mind for scenic value and good fishing. Start at the east side of Yellowstone Lake, end near Old Faithful. Lakes, rivers, thermal areas, etc.

The northern loop in Glacier NP is another option. Highline, Stoney Indian Pass, Ptarmigan Tunnel, then either Swiftcurrent of Peigan Passes. 60-70 miles, and lots of time above the trees.

Chris Roane
    BPL Member

@chrisroane

Locale: North Rockies

David…

We haven't done any trips in any of the national parks before. At least for this year, we are probably going to stay outside of the parks…but I hear the best hikes in Montana can be found in Glacier and Yellowstone. I guess we are a little nervous about the crowds though.

If you do want to go, you could just meet us in Helena, and we can carpool to the trail head in Big Timber (if we end up doing Lake Plateau).

Here are a few other trips I am planning on doing this summer, that you are sure welcome to consider:

– End of June: Sunburst in the Bob (2 nights)

– Middle of July: Spanish Peaks or the Pintler Loop (2 nights)

– Early September: Spanish Peaks or the Pintler Loop (2 nights)

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Chris, The Lake Plateau certainly has what you're looking for, particularly if lake fishing is OK. From the a base camp on the plateau there are many lakes accessible by means of a moderate bushwhack. A loop through Silver Pass and Speculator Pass in the Absarokas is a tougher hike, but has great stream fishing along much of its length. Could be done in 6 days, two of them pretty difficult. Hellroaring Creek in Yellowstone (and north into the Absarokas) can be combined into a very good loop hike. The Middle Fork of the Flathead in the Bob Marshall Wilderness has many hiking options and very scenic fishing. Unfortunately my calendar is full for the summer, otherwise I'd love to join you.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Do post when and where you go! I'll be hiking the northwest corner of Glacier the first week of August. Would like to finally meet some BPL'ers!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Folks, I'd love to go hiking with ya'll. I'll be around, and will keep in touch here once my work situation develops.

Psyched to go backpacking!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools