Topic

Routeburn Track, New Zealand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Routeburn Track, New Zealand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I took a 2 month trip to the South Island of New Zealand in Feb. and Mar. of 2007. One of the many Tramps on the itinerary was The Routeburn Track located in Mt. Aspiring National Park.

It was a two night/3 day trip covering 32km. My hut stays were booked months in advance but last minute slots were available and camping is possible near the huts as well. I stayed at the Routeburn Falls hut the first night and the McKenzie hut the second night. This trek is quite easy and could be done in two or even one day by a fit tramper.

As you will see below the scenery is spectacular and it would be a shame to rush through it all. The social aspect of staying in the huts is also a unique and enjoyable experience. I would end up staying at the homes of a few trampers later on in my travels!

The trip would start off in torrential rain. The track was often a stream of cold water. The dripping wet beech forest was a sublime backdrop!

Beech

A porthole through the canopy allowed a view of the tempest.

Tempest

Once the hut was reached everyone tried in vain to dry their damp belongings and warm the body with a hot drink.

Hut

The storm began to break around sundown and the view from the deck could be appreciated!

Sundown

We were greeted by sun as we began the climb to Harris Saddle through the beautiful alpine tundra.

Tundra

Cascade

Tundra

Rock and Cloud

Just before the Saddle is spectacular Lake Harris.

Lake Harris

lake Harris

Lake Harris

The storm shelters at the Saddle make for a crowded lunch stop.

Rest Stop

You can leave some of the crowd behind by climbing up to Conical Hill to catch a better view.

Key Summit

Soon we were descending into the clouds on our way down to the Mckenzie Hut.

Porthole

A tropical looking cascade appeared just before we dropped below the tree line!

Tropical Cascade

Almost any trek in New Zealand will include spectacular tread as seen below. Some people can't wait to get above treeline but I enjoyed the forest as well.

Forrest tread

I can't think of a more spectacular place to build a hut!

Lake Mckenzie

Lake Mckenzie

The last day of hiking would bring us to the Milford Road and on to the Milford Track the next day!

Fruit Yard

Falls

The End

Christopher Konsowitz
    Spectator

@thekonz

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Ryan,

Your pictures are unreal. Some of them even look fake they are so beautiful. I want to go right now!! Thanks for the pictures, they are amazing!

Chris

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

It always surprises me how similar the mountains in New Zealand are to those here in Japan. I have to go to New Zealand one day!

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Thanks guys. It really is that beautiful! So many mountains and so little time! There are endless amounts of tramps there and I would love to get back down there. I've got a few more reports to work on in the next week or so.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Unreal, absolutely unreal. I cannot believe such a beautiful place exists. I'm glad you took the time to share your images and your words. Thanks.

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Beautiful pictures. Wow.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools