Topic

Tent for me and the dog….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Tent for me and the dog….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Ive been using an Appytrails Mark III floorless tent (this is similar to the Integrald Designs Sil-shelter for those who haven't heard of it). Im looking for a 2 man tent with a floor, preferably double-wall, for me and my 150lb Great Dane to share, this means it can't be overly fragile. Anyone have good suggestions? I work for a camping store and can get pro-deals on Big Agnes and Go-lite tents. Im considering the Seedhouse SL 2 but have no experience with it. The Flycreek UL 2 would be sweet but im afraid its to fragile. Whats everyone think?
    (the floorless works great but i need more bug protection for summer)

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Are you worried about the floor or the walls? Assuming your dog is well behaved and thus you only need to worry about the floor, I don't know that I'd trust any tent material to hold up to repeated abuse by a 150 pound dog's claws. Hit the hardware store and get some 4 mil plastic sheeting for about $10. Cut a section just big enough for your entire tent (it's easiest to cover the entire tent for when rover climbs on you or whatever). The weight penalty should only be a few ounces.

if you're worried about wall durability and so forth, well, I'd imagine that if your tarp pitches have survived him, most tents should fair well also

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

I was actually more concerned about the walls than the floor. His HUGE feet actually spread the weight out pretty good, he can just be clumsy sometimes and i dont want him rolling into the wall and tearing it from the floor seam, or maybe tripping over a guyline and causing damage. Maybe im being a little overly worried.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I never worry about that too terribly much. My late golden retriever was 100 pounds, and between her and my 7 year old son the tent walls would take quite the beating, but still held strong.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Thanks for the advice. Im thinking i might try our store demo of the Flycreek UL2 and see how it goes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools