Topic

MYOG trekking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG trekking poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Ok, I know, it's been done and there are several threads/articles out there, etc. However, I decided to give this a go and found the details of other ventures to be slightly lacking when faced with so many decisions. So I thought I'd post a thorough list of what I found to be helpful details.

I, like many, went the golf club shaft route. You could hunt down goodwill clubs (good luck finding a matching pair), hang around golf ranges waiting for people to break stuff, call local golf shops, etc. for freebie scrap shafts, but there are two problems I found with this route.

1) the shaft you are using to support some of your weight has already suffered one failure and may not be far from another.

2) many golf shops can't/won't sell used shafts due to liability reasons.

For this reason, I found it acceptable to drop 10 bucks a piece on new shafts. You can sometimes find deals on ebay for closer to 5 bucks a shaft. However, shipping may get you in the end. I ended up buying online at golfsmith because I could have it shipped to a nearby store for free.

One benefit of buying a golf club shaft is that all the weights and lengths are listed online. However, there IS ONE IMPORTANT THING THAT MUST BE MENTIONED HERE:

When buying shafts, look for a tip size of .370 as this is a perfect fit for Leki tips. You can install the tips per Leki's instructions by simply slipping them on and banging them onto a hard surface. No glue required. The .370 size is actually not very common. I took a Leki tip to a golf store and slid it over the more common, smaller tip and it was a much sloppier fit. So tip size is important.

I had a hard time finding a sporting goods store that stocked cork grips for fishing poles. Had I lived closer to a Cabela's, this would not have been a problem.

Though I did notice while shopping for golf club shafts that they had a wide selection of grips available, most of which also have weights listed online in grams.

They are considerably heavier than cork, and should I hit up a cabela's soon, I may very well replace the rubber grips I ended up with.

But despite the weight penalty, there are advantages to using golf club grips:

1) You can cut to fit or leave the full length of the grip if you want to use the poles on extra steep ascents (these are fixed length, remember).

2) No glue required and you know the grip is going to fit. This also means they are easily replaceable.

3) Before you install the grip, you can use the hole in the top to install "straps" as seen in the photos. Just make a loop with a knot at one end, push a piece of coat hanger through the top of the grip, attach the loop to the end of the coat hanger (make a tight J hook with a set of pliers) and pull it through the top, letting the knot stop the string inside the grip.

So the shafts were roughly 10 bucks a piece, Leki tips are 10-14 or so a pair depending on where you get them. and then the baskets for a couple of bucks a piece. The grips in question were 3 bucks each and the cord for the straps I already had. So all in all, about 20 bucks a pole, 40 a set.

The short ones for the wife ended up weighing right at 5 oz. each and the longer ones came out at 4.8 oz. each.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/JWhitneyInc/pole1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/JWhitneyInc/pole2.jpg

EDIT: Not sure how to post images on here….

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Jonathan,

Do you have handy the exact model of shaft that you chose? I also have a Golfsmith in town but had trouble finding cheaper shafts in the .370 diameter. Yours look good too – not too flashy!

Thanks for the field notes.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Look at Golfsmith online. Look under clubmaking and expand the search box on the left. You will see tip size under those choices. They had 12 listed there this morning.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If you like foam grips (like Ti Goat AGPs) they can be found Here.

Select the 4" length with a Inside diameter a bit smaller than you pole's OD. It will stretch and slide on, especially with glue acting as a lubricant.

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Yeah, they don't tend to carry the cheapest stuff in the store, but I had seen deals online so I checked for a ship to store option. This is the pole I bought for the longer set:

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/G1000W/Golfsmith/1K_Wood_Shaft

With the tips, the pole comes in at a little over 47 inches, or right around 120 cm.

For the short ones:

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/4494I/Axlle/Composites_STR_Iron_Shaft

With tips, they come in at 41 inches.

These are the grips I went with:

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/18550/Lamkin/Perma-Wrap_Oversize_+3/32_.580_Round

I mainly bought them because they were oversized grips that would give a larger handle. If you're not entirely concerned with width, you could use a thinner grip and save some weight. My handles were rather weighty as they came in at 1.55 oz. each after being cut to 5 inches long. The poles themselves only weigh a little over 2 oz. I'm sure I could save a good bit by going with a cork fishing rod grip. I'm sure I'll probably pick some up next time I'm near a Cabela's. It would probably feel better than rubber as well.

I should note, regarding length, that at 6'2, my 47 inch poles are a little short for me by a couple of inches. I'm not worried about using them on flat ground and more concerned with steep climbing and river crossings, so I considered it a compromise.

To get them any longer, I'd have to hunt down a longer shaft, or use a shaft extension. They are rather common and can be bought at any golf store.

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Greg, awesome link and advice for the foam grips. One question: what did you do for an end cap and are you using any sort of straps with your setup?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I have GG LT4s, and bought 100 caps that fit that inside diameter – 0.500" from McMaster-Carr. $5 + S&H. They are called "MP500 Lock Hole Plug", part # 62MP0500.

They look like this –

Pole Plug

If you have a 0.500 ID and need a few let me know, I'll put them in the mail.

Edit: Corrected the Part Number.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I'm not using straps. But here is a way to do it:

Pole Strap Expander

This is an "Expansion Plug" found in the National section of your local hardware store, and a reinforced nylon bolt. I Use this setup for attaching my handles to shelters, as seen in This thread.

The bolt is a 1/4-20. I have 98 left. If you need a couple…

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Hmmm, the main reason I added and sort of straps was just to keep them on hand without having to maintain a tight grip the whole time. Or if I had to suddenly let go and catch something, free up a hand, etc.

Do you find it annoying to not be able to just let go and use your hand without having to drop the stick? Because, honestly, if I can get away with no straps, I'd prefer a straight up cork grip.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I do not use straps.
    I like to be able to "wave good-bye" if a pole gets caught.

If you want a loose "keeper", take a look at the small loop a the bottom of the Gossamer Gear LT cork grips. You attach a very light loop to that, as a "wrist loop".

I tried it for a while, and then just went with nothing. I occasionally drop them, but two years later and plenty of miles, I'm quite content without any sort of attachment.

Some folks really lean on their poles – and straps -, and for that the more robust 'expansion plug' attachment is needed.

Jack Bauer

@mclovin

Hi Jon,

great job on the trekking poles. I am curious, how much does everything cost from the golf shalf, grip, leki material?

Thanks

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

My poles were 10.96, grips were roughly 3 dollars. Golf club grips can range anywhere from 2 bucks to 10 bucks, really. I might hit up the golf store and check out a few more to see if they are "softer" to the touch. I'm a little worried about the possibility of blisters with my current rubber grips. If you have patience (I lack it), the EVA foam fishing grips are probably the best way to go (see above link from previous poster)

The cord, I bought for 5 bucks for 50 feet. most people have that stuff lying around.

The Leki tips were 14 bucks a pair and the baskets were 2 dollars each at a local store. Prices tend to vary from place to place.

So for my set, I guess it cost right at $46 not counting the cord.

Jonathan Whitney

@walkson2wheels

Hadn't thought of it until I nearly threw the box into the recycling bin, but if you order shafts from golfsmith (or any other golf retailer, I'd assume), they'll come in a box perfect for shipping your trekking poles should the need ever arise. Though, if you have the kind of money to fly to a backpacking destination and ship all your gear there, you probably have the bucks to go ahead and buy lightweight adjustable poles that fit in your pack….

Either way, mine came in a nice triangular prism shaped box at about 48 inches long.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Jonathan,

1. When you are typing your entry, there is an "Insert Image at Cursor" button up and to the right. Click on it and a window will open. Click the "Browse" button in that window and you will be able to select a photo from your hard drive and upload it.

2. Did you check out the synthetic cork grips GossamerGear.com sells? I have their trekking poles with these grips and they're very light and comfortable. A pair of replacement grips cost $20. They're very light.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Does anyone know if EVA or cork grips would be lighter? Looks like Mud Hole has both. Also, has anyone tried sanding/molding cork ones to fit your hand better?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Please forgive me if this has already been posted. I skimmed the postings but didn't read everything thoroughly.

Auto parts stores have flat sheets of cork for use as gaskets. One could laminate and shape this sheet into just about anything you want.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Shops that sell parts for making fishing poles carry cork rings that are made to be stacked as handles, or complete handles.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-building/

Kenneth Cowan

@zeros

Locale: California

good folks, but they will try and send you a fat catalog and overcharge shipping. specify no catalog and the shipping should be less.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

anybody know if the real cork is significantly lighter/heavier than EVA grips?

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

Jonathan – Thanks for the great post. I've been considering trekking poles and this is perfect, inexpensive, and exteremely straight forward.

Question on the shaft material… has anyone noticed a difference in stiffness with the composite (graphite) shafts versus the metal alternatives? My concern isn't so much about the weight, but more about the flex using golf club shafts which are designed to torque. There is a specificaiton on golfsmith for stiff varieties, but I imagine the metal shafts flex quite a bit less.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools