Topic

Marmot Alpinist bivy. Bugs and rain in summer, mods?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Marmot Alpinist bivy. Bugs and rain in summer, mods?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

I have Marmot alpinist bivybag. I use it last winter couple times. Now here is spring/summer, rain and mosquitos. If i close zipper i can't breath, if i let zipper open, rain and mosquitos are problem.

Do you have any idea about mods? I want to use this bivy also in winter.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Timo,

Perhaps modify it by adding noseeum to work like a Meteor from Six Moon Designs?????? Will reduce weight a tiny bit, too.

Go to their website and look under the MYOG section.

Todd

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

If i make mods like meteor bivy i have broplem in winter or in the rain. I was thinkin something mesh/waterproof/hood thing, but i don't know what to do…

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ok:

How about Momentum fabric w/ a mesh window?

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

I know this thread is a bit stale, but what the heck.

I'd recommend a seperate bug net. Light as can be and you can stake it out a big and run a single line up to give yourself plenty of head room so you don't have mosquitos buzzing six inches from your head. Very light too.

I recommend the Seat to summit asymetrical bug net. MSRP $30 and at that price you can afford to mod it if you like.

I use an OR Aurora bivy. Has mesh built in, but actually I still prefer the bug net… because if it's warm enough at night to have bugs then it's probably getting to warm for sleeping in the bag.

The reason I'm posting is because I have some important questions I'm researching for a friend.

1) how waterproof is this bag??

Can ou sleep in a puddle and stay dry? I.E. in my OR Aurora I've slept in six inches of snow in 55 degree weather. Woke up in the morning with pretty much no snow in an inch of water. My bag was still perfectly dry. :) Can't seem to find any reviews though on Marmot's Membrane fabric.

2) is the membrane fabric mosquito proof. I have to ask because when it does get a bit warmer one might tend to sleep without their sleeping bag and skin will make contact with the bivy. Gortex is suposedly mosquito proof, but what about Marmot's Membrane fabric?

Thanks! Would appreciate any feedback

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

From marmot webpage:
    "Marmot’s own lightweight waterproof / breathable technology. A lamination technology that rates a whopping 20,000mm in waterproof performance and 20,000 gr in breathability."

So it's waterproof. I have been sleep in alpinist bivy only in good weather. No rain or wet snow. Nothing bad to say!

Mosquitos, i think it is mosquito proof. Sounds odd if it is not bugproof.

alpinist bivy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools