Topic

Clothing for pacific NW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Clothing for pacific NW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Jansen

@bdjansen

Locale: Western Washington

Hi. My wife and I are going to be trying a little backpacking this year and I would be sure that I am bringing enough clothing without bringing too much.

We will be hiking in the pacific northwest around Seattle. So, the olympics, cascades, etc.

Here is what I'm bringing clothing wise.

Poncho
    poly t-shirt
    poly underware
    silk top
    silk bottoms
    montbell UL thermawrap jacket
    nylon wind pants
    2 pairs of wool or poly socks
    nylon shorts
    wool hat (for warmth)
    nylon baseball style hat (for sun)
    wool gloves
    bandanna
    running shoes
    my glasses have clip on sunglasses

What do you guys think? Will I be warm enough?Enough sun protection (I will have SPF 50 sunblock as well)?

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

Well, it all depends what time(s) of year you are planning on going. Storms can come out of nowhere in both the Olympics and the Cascades. Due to the gap in weather coverage because of the Olympic peninsula, weather reports cannot be considered reliable for more than a couple of days out.

I'm a big poncho fan, but since I've moved to backpacking in the PNW (as opposed to Arkansas) I've moved to taking a dedicated rain/wind jacket. Rain and wind can come up strong and last a long while; the poncho flapping around can get annoying.

Of course, nothing is more important than experience in the backcountry, so only you can make the right call for you for a specific trip. I would just, in general, be prepared for a 40F degree difference between day and night if you get any elevation in your trip.

Best of luck, you'll have a blast! It is absolutely beautiful up here :)

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Brian –

Seems about right to me, although I personally prefer a down jacket over the Thermawrap in terms of warmth. It really just depends when you are going backpacking. The Thermawrap is great during the summer, but during shoulder seasons, it can get a bit chilly in the Cascades and something a tad warmer is nice.

Here is a chart on the relative merits of different jackets. It's midway down the thread. The Thermawrap is compared to other options.

A New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth

Here is another link, this one also discussing the MontBell line of jackets and temperature variations.

MontBell jackets — rough idea of comparitive warmth

Finally, I'd agree with Ryan on the jacket/pants option. I am not a huge poncho fan, although plenty of people find this suits their own needs.

Dirk

Brian Jansen

@bdjansen

Thanks guys. I'm not sure about the poncho. My rain jacket was way too large to bring so I thought I'd try the cheaper option first before shelling out money for a lighter jacket.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brian,

Three additional items you might consider: Beanie(e.g. fleece or powerstretch); Windshirt; Waterproof mitts to go over your gloves for hiking in the rain. they don't weigh much or cost a lot, and they can make a considerable difference in your comfort level.

Brian Jansen

@bdjansen

I was just going to ask what would be the best way to add some insulation to my current setup. I don't mind replacing items but I'd really like to keep the montbell jacket. I love it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools