Topic

Yellowstone Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Yellowstone Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

My friend and I might be able to do a Yellowstone trip from May 16 to 19. My friend really wants to see the wolves and other wildlife. At this point we are looking at the Lamar Valley. Does anyone have a better idea or any specific suggestions? We probably won't have time to do more than 45 miles given our schedule. Also any idea what snowmelt and creek crossings will be like at that time?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Lamar has been opening up lately, and it has been red doggie season, if you know what that is. The tourists have been coming out of the woodwork and lining the road. There is not a lot of snow, but there have been some recent flurries. Lamar covers a lot of square miles, so you'll really have to talk the rangers into something.

The chances are that you will not see any wolves, but they will see you. Grizz is out, so take your bear spray. In advance, you could study the territories of the various wolf packs. Or, if you find a winter kill, stake it out from a distance, armed with binoculars and camera.

Lately some wolves have been sighted over near Madison Junction and west and south of there.
    –B.G.–

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks for the ideas Bob, couple more questions
    1. Are bugs a problem yet (i.e. should I use a tarp tent or simple tarp)?
    2. I had read that most bear and wolf sitings were in the Northeast area of the park but I wasn't sure if that was just for tourist in cars or backpackers too.

I will definately bring the bear spray. My genious friend wants to see a grizzly so the plan is to camp smart but go where they are thickest and home we can spot one at long range with binoculars.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In Yellowstone, bears and wolves can pop up just about anywhere. However, they are often seen by more tourists in the Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley, and that is because that is where the bison and elk are found. One thing kind of goes with the other. Grizzlies are often seen around Dunraven Pass as well.

There have been recent snow flurries, and that suggests that it might be too cool for many bugs. On the other hand, it is getting into the right season.

Make sure that the Yellowstone rangers have their little bear talk with you. This is not Yogi Bear in Jellystone Park.
    –B.G.–

Patrick Topel
    BPL Member

@patricktt2020

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

For info regarding snow depth,etc.,try NRCS.gov for SNOTEL site readings ,minutes ago the northeast entrance was showing 6 inch snow depth,22" at Canyon,58" at Lewis lake,21" at West thumb and 42" at Sylvan lake. There is still plenty of snow in the Park depending on where you go. You're best bet for camping now would be off of trails from the Gardiner/Mammoth hot springs side of the Park,try the sites off of Rescue creek trail,Lava creek trail or Blacktail deer creek down to campsites by the Yellowstone river. Hopefully by the time you guys show up things will have dried out quite a bit. I will be in Yellowstone this weekend to check it out myself. See ya!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Thorofare=Isolation
    DSCN0026
    Yellowstone Lake

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks a lot ya'll. I'll see what I can do with that info. We may not have as much time as we'd hoped so I might go really light and try to do more mileage.

Jay – I looked at your trip report of the Therofare area, great pictures, I want to do that area when I have time (maybe not this time).

Well thanks, if we go I'll try and post a trip report.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools