Topic

Slimline Steel Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Slimline Steel Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

This is my new campfire pot. I made it myself. I made the welder that welds the edges. I burned up the welder myself. I'll make another one.

<center>

</center>

<center>

</center>

<center>

</center>

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

This is a clever idea, Zelph. What kind of stainless steel is it (304? 316?) and what is the thickness of the foil (0.002")? I've found that foil can be susceptible to developing pinholes wherever there is a crease. Your prototype doesn't seem to crease very much when full, but a pinhole would not be field patchable. Does it roll up pretty neatly? Creative work.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Great idea! I tried to do something similar a while back with my titanium foil but I am not able to weld it. Even on my lowest settings, I easily burn right through the material. Care to share with us the welder/welding process you used?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

The thickness is .oo2 and is nonmagnetic 309, maximum temperature is 2100 degrees. welder is DIY, input voltage is low via voltage regulator to achieve the weld. Temper is annealed. Glad of that, I had to roll the top edge to prevent cutting my self again.

I added a grommet to one corner and is now the preferred placement for lifting and pouring. I will store it in a zip lock soft roll it around my hammock for storage. I'm going to put together a minimalist pack for emergency grab and run situations. Wood is my preferred fuel, this pot is going to be my goto pot for campfires. It has a 5 cup capacity.

If pinholes occur I'll have to live with loss of water until it bothers me, then make a new one.

<center>

</center>

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Good design Zelph. I think adding the grommet was a good idea. In the video, it looked a little hard to balance with that stick so The gromment at least gives you a better place to hold on to. Are you going to add a bail or anything to it to make it easier to pour?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thank you.

I don't have plans to add anything more. I used a piece of Scotchbrite pad as a gripper to hold the bottom corner of the pot. The piece is 1.5 x3.5" in size and is easy to fold in half and grip. Holds firm to the thin steel. Very accurate pouring from the opposite corner I'll be doing more testing in the coming weeks. Time to go a wandering.

<center>

</center>

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools