Topic

First Trip in CO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips First Trip in CO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ross Williams

@xavi1337

Locale: Korea

I just got back to America and found myself with a free plane ticket and no job after June 15. I've never been out west, so I'd love to have some big mountain fun.
    Can anyone recommend a trail in the 150 mile range? How about a section of the CDT? I also need a trail accessible from a greyhound bus or similar coming from Denver as well as an exit strategy.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

The greyhound bus can take you from Denver to Frisco where you can access the Colorado Trail and CDT and then you start hiking south. You can catch the bus back to Denver from Salida. That's probably about 100 miles? I can check my maps tomorrow.

You could also go Salida to Durango but that's probably 200-250 miles.

Ross Williams

@xavi1337

That sounds like a good one, i can supplement it with day trips to bag some Of the bigger mountains.
    I didn't bring my TT Contrail back from Korea and currently only have my sil-nylon tarp + bivy. How's the bugs and weather in late June?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Colorado Trail miles:

105 miles Denver to Frisco/Breckenridge

150 miles Frisco/Breckenridge to Salida

166 miles Salida to Silverton

77 miles Silverton to Durango

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

June may be a bit of an issue in places regarding snow on the high passes and cornices, an ice ax would be needed I think to be safe, especially in the San Juans an on Lake Ann Pass in the Sawatch. Some of these areas could be routed around though, this is on the CDT, the CO Trail in many places is lower.

Salida to Silverton would be really great but I am not sure about transportation in Silverton, I think there is a regional bus that goes to Durango.

Really bugs aren't much of an issue in Colorado, especially at night when it gets cool and especially if you can pick favorable campsites.

charleswwoods

@charleswwoods

Locale: Wandering

There are buses that run from Silverton to Durango a couple times a day, you could also consider riding the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (a bit touristy, but fun to go 1 way). http://www.durangotrain.com/

Ross Williams

@xavi1337

that help alot thanks.
    I'm looking at starting off June 22 Salida to Silverton. What would the low temps be at night?

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Starting in Salida/Monarch Pass in later June will have you on the lower and drier sections of the trail when they are probably at their best so this is nice. Temps are likely to be in the mid-40's in the lowest sections leading up to the La Garita's and then there will still be snow up high with nights in the low 30's.

Are you planning on hiking to Molas Pass and then to Silverton, to Elk Park and getting on the train or taking a re-route from the trail to drop down right into Silverton directly?

charleswwoods

@charleswwoods

Locale: Wandering

Ross,
    I'm in Durango until the end of August. If you need help w/ the logistics on this end, or want someone to hike with for a couple days.. hit me up

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools