Topic

headlamp quest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) headlamp quest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

If you are more comfortable with the big traditional manufacturers of headlamps, consider the Princeton Tec Remix Pro.

It is pretty light, although heavier than you specified at 66 grams (2.3 oz) including batteries. 70 lumens max. Regulated.

Perhaps this is a step up from the popular Princeton Tec EOS II (50 lumens and 105 grams / 3.7 oz)? Spare batteries are lighter, too — a single CR123 vs 3xAAA for the EOS II.

–MV

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

Thanks for that link — I have a set of rechargeable cr123 batteries, so that might be the ticket. Definitely a nice option.

I suppose my target ought to be 1.6 oz or less, since that's the weight of the scout w/ the headband. I like that I can couple it with a hat and leave this bit behind, while still have the functionality of a headlamp.

After a cursory review, I'm not seeing anything I obviously like better than my old cheap Scout. I've picked up a spare, since for $14 ya can hardly go wrong. But I'm going to delve into all these specs in more detail — I can tell I have a fair bit of reading to do over at the candlepower forums. If something knocks off the Scout from my pack list, I'll be sure to share what and why.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

You may be interested to follow this thread on Candlepower forums, where I ask about a good light for ultralight backpacking.

–MV

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

for a few days, I at least understand my needs, wants, and options a little better. here's where my thinking is now:

– the princeton tec scout, for the price is still a nice little light. if I end up back here, I'll be ok with it, but I think there's room for improved performance at the same weight.

– I'm not going to spend $130 on a light. I'm a gear junky, but man, I can't go that far. $80 is too much. $50 or less is what I'm willing to spend.

– batteries may actually be the crux of the whole issue — didn't realize quite how detailed the battery choices are.

My Shortlist:

– Princeton tec scout is in the pole position

– iTP A2 – I'll be carrying AA Li batts anyway, sounds like there's not significant performance difference between the iTP1 and iTP2 if using Li AA. A1 doesn't take the rechargeble 123s, so A2 looks like the winner.

– Zebralight H30-Q5. 1.4 oz w/ battery w/ a nice headband clip is pretty nice. I don't ever use the high setting on any of my lamps and the battery times are stellar.

Right now, I think the H30 is in the lead, as you get so many accessories and options stock that it's worth a bit extra to me.

Thanks for all the great insight and links, I definitely know a ton more than I did this time last week! I'll post a field review for any of these I end up buying.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Have you looked at the Black Diamond Gizmo? I bought one last fall and it is a very light 2-AAA headlamp.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Not to be nitpicking, but I presume you mean H31, not H30? Both are on their website, so be sure you get whichever one you really want.

Also, seeing your AA note — be aware that the H51 should be available within a few weeks. It is not on their web site yet, but CPF is talking about it, and their support people will answer questions about it. It will be an H31 that takes an AA battery. There will also be an H51F floody version.

–MV

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

Bradford — that's a bit heavier than I'm hoping to get. I have a black diamond LED headlamp that is easily the worst performer in my quiver … I'll keep an eye for one to get my hands on though, they can't all be as bad as the one I have.

Bob — unless I'm missing something, the H31 is heavier and brighter … and has a hot spot. given the H30 is 5x brighter than a light I never use on full power, I can't find any reason to spend the extra $10 and carry more weight. What am I missing? I also prefer the more even illumination, as it'll probably get used for tent reading as much as anything else.

Since I already have a 4 pack of rechargeable CR123's, and factoring in spare battery weight and burntime one a fresh bat, the 123's are looking like the winners to me.

I will have to sit down with the scale and compare w/ the Tec Scout and see where packed weights fall. Really, any of those lightweight Z-lights look great.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Sign up for Sierra trading Post . Sale ends TODAY for several Princeton Tec headlamps including the Scout and Fuel. I paid about 13 for a Fuel with my extra discount. Shipping isn't free , but that's still a deal.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Brian:

Weight: H30 wins ~24 gm vs. 27.6 gm
    Batteries: 123's are nice, and you already own them.

Hot spot — depends on your needs. The H31 hot spot is an advantage for many, and a reason to "upgrade" to it. It means the H31 has decent throw (a first for Zebralight headlamps), while the H30 is a flood. The H31 may well be better for any night time hiking you end up doing (they say the spill is just about right, too). The weight is close enough that you could easily choose on flood vs. throw alone.

I also prefer the more even illumination, as it'll probably get used for tent reading as much as anything else.

This may not be a problem. It has been mentioned in some CPF thread — the take is that the spot is wide enough for reading.

Q1: Would anyone care to comment on it's suitability for close up work or reading? I'm worried that the hot spot might be a bit too tight. Any volunteers for a little night-time read on the toilet?

Q2: Is the hot spot too narrow or bright for up-close tasks like reading?

A: I just tried with a printout on plain white paper, on both low modes and on the lower medium I can read quite well, the hotspot just fills the width of the paper. … Nevertheless a floody version would still be better at that task I guess…

Brightness — once again goes to what you will use the light for. The H31 has more settings than the H30 (and a decent UI to access them, along with sticky low and medium settings), including:

*) One of the medium settings is 43 lumens (12 hours) — a value that some at BPL like for rough trails and off-trail use. The H30 has no equivalent.

*) The H31 has a "moonlight" setting 0.5 lumens (21 days) that many think is enough for tent use, reading, and much in-camp. The H30 has no equivalent.

So the argument for the H31 seems to be throw vs. flood and more flexible brightness settings. Up to you whether you care about those things. To me, if you do care, they would outweigh the 3.6 gram difference in weight.

–MV

P.S. a late-breaking relevant question was posted at CPF:

Q1: Can someone who has both the H501 and H31 XP-G comment on the usefulness of the XP-G beam compared to the all-flood beam of the H501 for up-close tasks such as reading, cooking, doing things within arm reach? The H501 is the perfect light for these tasks. I am just wondering if the XP-G with its big hot spot can retain some of the arm length usefulness the H501 has. Thanks.

Q2: Seems I'm not alone in wondering about the close up usefulness of the new H31 and H31w. I don't mind a hotspot in the slightest BUT as far as I'm concerned if it can't be used usefully for closeup work, for me at least, there's no point.

A: Just use the lights on a lower level for up-close work.

I've read in bed, washed dishes, and other up-close stuff with absolutely no problems while using BOTH the H31 & H31w.

I have the H60w & H30 so I have compared it to them as well.
    At this point I think a lot of the concerns you guys have are not an issue unless you are the most picky person out there.

I can get stuff about 8 inches from my face and don't have an issue with the hot-spot being to bright and there is plenty of spill beam to make it useful.

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

as they are listed differently on the spec webpage (h30 weighed w/ battery & w/battery.headbans) and (h31 weighed only sans battery)

so that's less weight difference than I expected. I can see the moonlight mode being quite handy too. 31 does look significantly bigger though

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

they are listed differently on the spec webpage

That's right — the H30 weight I gave is estimated by taking a 16 gram cell back out of the spec'd weight so we'd be comparing them fairly. Should be pretty close.

As to size — yes, the H31 is longer (by 0.37") — up to you how "significant" that is:

H30:

Length: 2.2" (56mm)
    Diameter (body): 0.83" (21mm)
    Diameter (head): 1.0" (25mm)
    Weight: 1.4 oz (40 gm) with battery

H31:

Length: 2.57" (65 mm)
    Diameter: 0.90" (23 mm)
    Weight: 1.5 oz (43.6 gm) with 16 gram battery

–MV

P.S. Filled in the answer at the end of my previous post

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools