Topic

Gettin close!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gettin close!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

Base Weight (a) 6540g 14.43lb
    Worn Weight (b) 1198g 2.64lb
    Total (a+b+c) 7705.7g 17.00lb

Next to each category is the total weight in grams for the group.

Next to each item is weight in grams, ounces, and quantity.

item description (g) (oz) quantity
    BACKPACK 707.5
    Backpack Six Moon Designs Starlite 67L 707.5 24.97 1

SLEEPING GEAR 1712
    Z-Rest 3/4 length pad 280 9.88 1
    Pillow waterwing 32 1.13 1
    Sleeping Bag 1400 49.42 1

SHELTER 715
    Tarp Silnylon 330 11.65 1
    Cord Parachute cord 220 7.77 1
    Groundsheet Tyvek 9×3 165 5.82 1

COOKING GEAR 230
    Pot & Lid titanium 107 3.78 1
    Cup titanium 45 1.59 1
    Spoon titanium 15.8 0.56 1
    Scrubber 2.4 0.08 1
    Rope 60 2.12 1

CLOTHING WORN 1198
    Socks Merion Wool 95 3.35 1
    Pants Nylon, zip off into shorts 550 19.42 1
    Shirt long sleeve, cotton 250 8.83 1
    Watch 118 4.17 1
    Undies Merion Wool 95 3.35 1
    hat Baseball cap 90 3.18 1

CLOTHING PACKED 1490
    socks 80 2.82 1
    balaclava Merino wool 45 1.59 1
    bugnet 30 1.06 1
    vest MEC 575 fill power down 480 16.94 1
    hoodie 330 11.65 1
    rain jacket Colombia gear 500 17.65 1
    Bandana 25 0.88 1

KIT 920.7
    Water Bottel 1L 40 1.41 2
    But Spray deet 16 0.56 1
    Sun Block SPF 45 27 0.95 1
    Water Pur 30 tabs 5 0.18 1
    Flashlight With AA lithium battery 59 2.08 1
    Duct Tape 11 0.39 1
    ear plugs 1 0.04 1
    Lighter mini bic 11.6 0.41 1
    Knife 200 7.06 1
    Silky Saw 220 7.77 1
    Trail guide 21 0.74 1
    Compass 35 1.24 1
    Sharpener Fallkniven DC3 45 1.59 1
    Fire steel 7.7 0.27 1
    Tinder 11 0.39 1
    Safety pins 3.3 0.12 1
    Thread/needle 1.1 0.04 1
    Pipe 34 1.20 1
    Camera 132 4.66 1

FIRST AID 27.6
    Bandaids Medium 0.7 0.02 3
    small 0.4 0.01 2
    large 2 0.07 1
    knuckle 1.4 0.05 1
    Gauss 2.5 0.09 1
    tape 3 0.11 1
    Towelette 3 0.11 2
    Alcohol wipe 0.5 0.02 2
    tweezers 0.8 0.03 1
    Meds 4x T3, 6x Tylenol, 2 Dose anti diareah, 1x sleeping pill 8 0.28 1

TOILETRIES 97
    Towel Microfiber 40 1.41 1
    Soap dish soap 22 0.78 1
    Floss 1 0.04 1
    Toothbrush 6 0.21 1
    Tooth paste 5 0.18 1
    Hand Sanitizer 23 0.81 1

FISHING GEAR 640
    Rod St. Croix 4 piece pack rod 150 5.30 1
    Reel 170 6.00 1
    Tackle kit 210 7.41 1
    Frying Pan 110 3.88 1

Bear with me here, without a post preview i have no idea how this copy/paste job is going to work

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

The knife and saw are definitely not in line with "UL", but I use them a lot on my hikes, same goes for the pipe and fishing gear.
    The sharpening stone is a tad heavy, but all I got to work with for now. Mostly for sharpening hooks and striking the firesteel, which I use as my primary fire source (the bic is the backup), what can I say, I enjoy catching a spark on a piece of tinder fungus and blowing the coal into a flame.

I know some folk opt for just a photon light, but I always end up doing a lot after sundown, and this Nitecore flashlight kicks ass.

A few items that I ditched after making the list
    goretex bivy (canadian army) 32oz – Might opt to take a slightly larger vapor barrier ground sheet instead of my tyvek one to protect against ground water in a heavy rain.

aluminum stays – with my bag packed it's plenty rigid and comfortable without them

fork – if I cant get it done with a spoon I'll make chopsticks when I'm out there.

large bug net – head bugnet + hood + baseball cap + ear plugs will be my protection while I sleep.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

-Nix the pillow Save 1.13oz
    -There are lighter sleeping bags.
    -Cut down your ground-sheet and save 4.3oz or get a bivy and nix the sheet completely.
    -Nix the Ti cup, just eat and drink out of the pot. Save 1.59oz
    -Nix the scrubber. Save 0.08
    -Nix the cotton shirt. Get a synthetic or wool save 2oz.
    -There are lighter down vests. Save 6oz
    -What kind of hoodie? A higher fill down jacket should negate the need for this
    -There are lighter rain jackets out there. Save 10oz.
    -Nix the flahslight and look into a headlamp.
    – 7.77oz is a lot of knife. There are lighter options. my Gerber Evo Jnr is 1.8oz and that is considered heavy by some. Save 5oz
    -Nix the saw. Save 7.77oz.
    -Nix the sharpener– sharpen before you leave. Save 1.59oz
    -Nix the towel (use your bandana)

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

Two things really jump out and scream "exorcise me I am a weight demon!" They are the knife and the saw. They total close to 15 oz. Simply leave the saw at home and grab swiss arm classic pen knife and you will be saving about 14 oz. The pen knife is a $15-$20 purchase.

Also why the pot and the mug? Leaving mug at home will cost you zero dollars.

Nearly 8oz for parachute cord? Yikes. Look into some lighter cord. Cost varies but you don't have to go for broke here on the cord.

Vest is definitely heavy you can easily get a heavily filled full blown hooded down jacket for that weight. This would cost you some loot I am afraid.

You could also get a lighter rain jacket. I have a XL rain jacket that weighs like 9 or 10 ounces. Again this could cost a bit but there are some low cost options out there too.

Ditch the cotton shirt that is definitely a naughty naughty no no. Replace it with a synthetic top from the thrift store for $5 or less.

If you have never owned a headlamp you might really enjoy the functional simplicity of hands free lighting wherever you are looking. Here again costs will range from making you want to bleed from the eyes when looking at price tags to not so bad at all.

I am going to leave the sleeping bag alone since they can be uber costly to replace.

I am also going to leave alone all the stuff under 10 grams but realize that it's collective mass can crush the average home digital scale. Just goofin' but really man watch all your stuff under an ounce in weight.

You could loose a bunch of weight without going broke. Forage and dirtbag for the love of lightweight! Your most costly replacements will be the down vest and the sleeping bag should you choose to do so. I would work on the other stuff first and leave the more expensive stuff til later. After knocking out the cheapy changes you might not really care to spend the money for these two big ticket items. I am not sure what kind of temps you camp in and what kind of sleeping bag you currently own, but it might cost you a crap ton of money to save another pound or pound and a half by electing to replace the vest and sleeping bag.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You missed the third demon. What's with the scrubber? Leave that one at home too.

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

ahhh I feel the urge to resist, but I'm just gonna go with it.

Bandana's out. The towel at only 15g heavier will be much much more useful in drying me, laundry, and its self.

The knife weight includes my nylon belt, and I'm not budging on it :P I have a 2.78oz titanium/s30v folder I could use, for me the puukko is worth the extra weight.

Lightening the tackle kit a wee bit.

Ditching the saw, sharpener, scrubber (hell I always forget to bring this anyway and have gotten by fine)

I could go with a 75g silk shirt, but it has no sleeves. What fabric is best?

I could cut back on the cord some, I'm just rather fond of having the extra versatility. I could use lighter cord for the tie downs, keep the paracord for the ridge line… I'm on it!

That puts me down to 15.6lb total weight. If you didn't include the fishing gear my pack weight would be 12lb.

Planing on making my own quilt, maybe I'll get some extra down and see if my grandmother would sew me a vest!

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I guess I'll try my hand at nitpicking a little bit. :P

Another idea to shave weight from paracord is to go ahead and gut it and use only the sheath. I'm not sure what the sheath is rated for by itself but you should be able to cut ounces out there and it's free.

You can also ditch the thread and carry a needle big enough to use dental floss or the guts from the paracord (if you decide not to gut it).

You could ditch the frying pan and just use sticks or improvise a grill out of tent stakes (which I didn't see listed) since it sounds like you're starting a campfire anyway (I don't see a stove on your list either).

Do you always use the tinder you carry to start a fire or is that just a backup plan? If so you could leave it at home and use the hand sanitizer to start emergency fires.

You have duct tape listed in addition to tape in your first aid kit. I'd nix the latter.

What's with the ear plugs?

What kind of water bottle are you bringing? It seems a bit on the heavy side for just 1 liter. Your 1 liter bottle weighs more than a 2 liter platy.

You could also save a smidgen of weight by leaving the pot's lid at home and using a piece of aluminum foil.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

– The puuko is more robust, but a Mora in a plastic sheath will do the same work and weighs only about 3-4 oz.

– Do you need that big of a towel? I cut my microfiber towel down to around 0.5 oz.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

I read on someone's gear list that they use a Sham Wow for a towell. Anyone knows what those weigh? I bought a box but cannot find my scale :O

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

I was on the fence about the frying pan, last summer I just cooked my fish on th fire. It does cook up beautifully just by laying a bed of sphagnum moss on the coals, then the fish, followed by another layer of moss. But it gives me so many more options for my food! Sure I COULD cook bacon on an open fire, but it's a ton more work, plus what about all those wasted calories that just drip into the fire? And yeah, I do all my cooking on camp fires. I could get by fine w/o bringing tinder, there's tons of birch.

I don't bring tent stakes, there's nothing to pound them into in the Canadian Shield, it's all exposed granite with at most a few inches of peaty soil here and there. Thats the other reason why I need more cord for my tarp, the guide lines need to actually reach something.

Earplugs are dual purpose, they help me get to sleep when swarms of mosquitoes are buzzing around inches from my face, and sometimes the rubber flanges on my headphones (for my mp3 player which I'm trying to convince myself to leave behind) pop off, and I can fashion replacements from the earplugs.

I just use 1L mineral water bottles, aquafina maybe?

I could take a mora, my handforged puukko weights a whole ounce more (just the knife)… This upgrade might just have to count as one of my luxuries. CIMG3208.jpg

I haven't used this particular towel before, so I'll see how it works out before I cut it. I do like to keep my clothes clean and a good towel really helps dry them out a lot faster.

I'm off to find a long sleeve synthetic shirt.

Thanks guys!

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

So you're carrying bacon and the like in? I was working under the assumption that the pan was for just cooking fish you've caught to supplement freezer bag style cooking or something. However, if you're going to pack real food in then you might as well cook it up right. I can't argue with a man who likes to eat well!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools