Topic

small food-safe zip baggies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition small food-safe zip baggies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

BPL is out of stock of the small zip baggies – any recommendations on sources of these things?

Ziploc brand snack baggies are a little fragile with poor zip sealing, and not quite as small as I want.

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

I found a couple of sizes in the Wal Mart craft section. I hear they sell them at Joanns and Michaels, as well.

These don't seem to be much thicker or better at sealing than the snack sized Zip Lock brand ones, but they work for me.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I also found them recently at Michaels's and Wal-Mart (Wal-Mart was cheaper, of course).

They're really convenient.

The small bags, not Michael's or Wal-Mart.

Also not sure if the seal is any better than the snack size Zip-Locs, doesn't seem to be.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

What is this preoccupation with ziploc bags???????

I use ordinary polyethylene bags with a rubber band. I buy them at 1000 a time (very cheap that way), but you can probably go to your local fruit shop and buy 100 bags off the roll from the guy there. They will be way cheaper, and lighter – and probably stronger.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"What is this preoccupation with ziploc bags???????"

The zip closure is effective for eliminating food or liquid leakage. If I am not worried about leakage, then I use ordinary non-zip bags.

I just got some new zip bags sold for packaging prescription pills, but I had to pay 5 cents each for the whole quantity.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Ziploc is made in the US….for some of us that is reason enough to buy them ;-)

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I'm feeling really flush and can spring for small ziplocs over ordinary poly bags with rubber bands ;)

I also find them a lot neater in filling, emptying, sealing, and packing.

Now how about those sources? (and I'm not sure about whether craft store bags are food-grade plastic (?))

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If they are made of polyethylene they are food safe but not necessarily heat safe (thin equals fragile).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools