Topic

Quilt – first project, need advice!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilt – first project, need advice!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

I'd like to make a quilt similar to the one in the thru-hiker tutorial http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php

I'm guessing there's cheaper sources for materials though, and if you guys could give me some leads that'd be a huge help.

For 800fp down i'm looking at $6.50/oz at http://theperfecttrees.com/products.html#down

As for fabric I'm not 100% sure what'd be best for me. I need something breathable, so cuben fiber is out. I hear tyvek sews poorly and the stitching rips out, I'd trade some weight for durability in this case. So what options are left, Silnylon and proprietary fabrics like the "momentum .9" that thru-hiker sells?

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

Silnylon is not breathable.
    Regular 1.1 oz nylon ripstop is definitely the way to go for a cheap, breathable quilt.
    Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics is a good supplier for this, as well as for anything else you would need… except for down (as far as I know).
    http://owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Ripstop.asp#Nylon%20Ripstop:%20Coated

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

I was thinking ripstop, typing silnilon :S

What's the actual difference between firsts and seconds when it comes to these products? Theres quite a gap in the prices.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Most of the 1.1oz ripstop seconds I've seen are cosmetic seconds only.

i.e. a couple colored lines running down one section of fabric, or a discolored area.

Just make sure it's downproof.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Hi Ankar,

I would suggest going with the quality material from the place you got the info -thru-hiker.com

That way you are assured of downproof quality material that will last a long time and preform well in the field- a nice reward (and peace of mind) for the many hours you'll spend creating your personalized gear.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

owfinc.com also sells .9oz ripstop, similar to momentum 90. But the best price for a down quilt is usually the thru-hiker kit.

-Tim

will samsky

@wsamsky

Locale: Sunny Arizona

+1 to tim, i shopped around a bit and thru hiker was the cheapest for the amount of fabric you get. If order from two places youd have to pay shipping twice and it would most likely end up being more expensive. I was so impressed at the comfort of m90 it was worth the 30 dollar upgrade IMHO.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools