Topic

Grand Canyon June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

I am doing Rim to Rim the second weekend in June. I know what kind of potential heat I am going to be dealing with. But my question is at night. What are the low temps like at night? 40's? 50's? 60's?

Thanks

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

Funny, I may be doing this too in June as well (trying to tag on to my friends permit for 6 people if I can convince her…), so also looking for any info on what to expect.

thanks!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Generally in the inner canyon you can expect temperatures around 70° F or warmer. During the day, you can expect temperatures around 100° F or warmer. June is typically one of the hottest months in the Grand Canyon; July and August are more humid and have afternoon thunderstorms that block the sun but are still nice and toasty warm.

Go here http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/weather-dangers.htm for some statistics.

Plan on having reserve water and plan on drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated. It is hard to tell when you are drying out in the dry air there. There is plenty of water on the Bright Angel Trail between the south rim and the river. There are several water sources between the river and the north rim but you will be climbing another 1000'. When in doubt, carry more water than you think you will need and keep to an easy pace. It is the young hotshots that generally get in trouble in the canyon.

Brian Martin
    BPL Member

@xiled1

Locale: AZ

You may get lucky this year and not get as high a temp as usual. Its been unseasonably cool and wet this entire spring. We have not even hit 100 yet. I'm hitting the Thunder River loop 1st week in June. I'll try and remember to report back the temps we get. I'm expecting no lower than 60 at the bottom. But it may be lows in the 30's at the top of the North Rim. Snow is still melting up there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools