Topic

Trinity Alps in June?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all!
    I am trying to put together a week or so backpacking trip in June…and I wana try to get into some higher elevations. I was originally gonna head out of Reds Meadows…but I think in mid June it is still gonna be snowed in at 9,000 and 10,000ft and impassable. SO….I was thinking of heading north into the Trinity Alps Wilderness. What do you think…would that be a good place to go at that time of year? I was thinking of heading up Suarts fork to saphire, Emerald, Mirror and Caribu Lakes. Any tips, ideas, thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated!
    THANKS!

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

We did Thompson Peak from Hobo Gulch early Oct. last year. Thats the place to go if you want to get high.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Can anyone comment on snow in the Trinities, and when they think it will be suitable for backpacking this spring?

–MV

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Last week there was still over four feet of snow on the ground at 4500 feet or so. Has not been very warm or sunny so far. Raining again today. Check this link weekly for the most updated information

http://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5154861.pdf

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Ken,

Very nice. I especially liked his discussion of why it can be bad to have fires in certain places, even if there is no fire danger and even if there appears to be enough wood. His explanation was among the clearest I have seen.

–MV

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Ya…I expected quite a bit of snow still…its pretty early. But I am thinking that by mid June…most should be melted…at least enough to be passable. Where I am looking, the tallest peak doesnt even reach 9,000ft…so I think it should all be low enough to be melted by then. Anyone been in that area in early or mid June?

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

what website is that trail report from? it just gave me the PDF of the one report…id love to go back to check that site periodically for updates. How often do they update?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sorry about that. It's the USDA website for Shasta-Trinity National Forest. It's updated weekly more or less. Here you go.

http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTn0AjAwjQL8h2VAQAlanblA!!/?ss=110514&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003741&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&ttype=recmain&pname=Shasta-Trinity%20National%20Forest-%20Recreation

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Thanks man!

Jim Carr

@jcarr

Locale: Humboldt County

There is 137.6 inches of snow at Shimmy Lake at 6400 feet. Here is the web site for snow conditions

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=shm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools