Topic

Red River Gorge geological area – ky

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Red River Gorge geological area – ky

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Here are some pictures of the wet and overcast weekend i had at Red River Gorge in eastern Ky.Cloud Splitteruptopsrc="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272886115_24808.jpg" alt="crack" width="540" height="720">src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272886085_24807.jpg" alt="fog" width="550" height="413">src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1272886059_24806.jpg" alt="shelter" width="550" height="413">

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Heres a few more.fogshelter

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

i've been to the gorge serveral times, lovely place, one of the gems of the south. Where were the pics taken on that rock?

Colin Dunlap
    BPL Member

@blackknights

Can you provide a link to a website with good info on Red River Gorge?

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Redrivergorge.org is ok, but i seem to find much better info on specific trails in guide books. My favorite is called Hinterlands – The unofficial trails of Red River Gorge. It will take you to the best places of the Red and to many undiscovered secrets. If you get the book let me know and i will point you to the best trails in my opinion. Or better yet i can let you know when our next trip will be. We do alot of single nighters, sometimes finding a nice campsite a few miles in, and then covering lots of miles day hiking from camp. Most of the trails are less than 5 miles with alot of the best ones in the 2-3 mile range, making it possible to see alot of great trails in one weekend.

Colin Dunlap
    BPL Member

@blackknights

That would be great.
    Just PM me when you make plans and we can work something out.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

That rock was the top of Cloud Splitter trail. Its a nice 1.5 mile hike along the sheltowee for about a mile and then along unofficial trails for the rest. I can give you details and GPS points if you want to try it out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools