Topic

Bay Area First Of The Season Sierra Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area First Of The Season Sierra Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Just wondering if anyone has interest in a nice group hike into the Sierra's for the June???? Snowmelt will be kicking in here in the next week or so. Maybe Emmigrant Wilderness??? I was thinking the 3rd week of June? Discuss

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hey Ken, More than 1 night? Mileage? How have you been anyway?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

More than one night would be cool too! Just putting out a feeler….I have been VERY busy and maybe more after June….I have some cool work stuff happening that will have me the ability to afford gear again!!!!! Thanks for asking. Looks like you guys had a great Lost Coast trip!!!!!!!! 2 nights, 3 days????

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You guys are thinking ahead. I'm still trying to pull off a snowcamping trip. There is a lot of snow up there, even low at 7000-7500 feet where snowplows have 8-9 feet to go through. For the high passes, I don't even want to think about it.
    –B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I agree Bob! I am wishfully thinking that there is a mix of snow and dirt by then….hence the "let's do something late in June" thing. Funny that you and I keep telling folks that early season stuff is not going to happen this year because of the snowfall. If ever you'd like to join a trip, you are more than welcome to!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

P6130157

Mosquito Pass, Emigrant Wilderness-June 13Th 2009–Unless we get a heat wave in May or June–Backpacking in Sierras probably will not happen until late June early July…I hope I am wrong.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Sounds like a lovely year for XC ski backpacks :) They can be really nice that time of year (once the roads get plowed through the passes).

–MV

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I'm going ski/snowcamping next weekend. So much for the early season stuff. Over all of California, they are describing the snowpack as 143% of normal.

I figure that normal Sierran backpacking can occur in June, but it won't be at 9,000 feet. Instead, it may be at 6,000 or 7,000. Stream crossings are going to be cold and deep, even in July. It may not be before mid-August when the high trails are normal. I hope nobody planned any early-season JMT trips.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jay

> Mosquito Pass, Emigrant Wilderness-June 13Th 2009
    (wistfully) A bit more snow would be nice … for the boards!

cheers

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

If the temperature ranges from around freezing at night to 50+ with a lot of sun in the daytime, what does that do to the snowshoeing conditions?

Icy in the morning, then progressively more slushy and wet as the day goes on, obviously, but how is the walking?

Is it hard to stay dry?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

David, I can't speak much as a snowshoer, but as a cross country skier. On a normal year, the April time frame gives us what we call "corn snow season." There is a lot of melt-freeze transition going on, and that develops corn snow that is good for ski touring. This year in California, that season is late by a month. Once it gets too hot, the snow will shift into what we call "soft ice cream snow." You will be tempted to kick off the snowshoes and skis and walk, but you will be postholing a lot. Believe me, when you have to walk a few miles and you are sinking in crotch-deep with every step, you will find a better way. One problem with soft ice cream snow is that you don't want to try to build snow caves and igloos with it. Staying dry is purely a matter of wearing the right layers.
    –B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thinking of 6000 feet or so. I think by late June we should have alot less snow.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I know a backpacker who signed on to work the summer at Vermillion Valley Resort, near Lake Edison. I have the feeling that their summer won't start anytime soon. VVR is around 7600 feet. They may spend their first month just shoveling out.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I know I will be back out to CA in late May and a couple of times in June. A good option may be hike out of Hetch Hetchy into Jack Main Canyon. By June I would expect that the snow would clear out at least up over Moraine Ridge. And if a little snow is encountered then so be it. Count me in if I can tack it onto "work"

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jack Main is really cool, but man, the water out in that area can be difficult in early season…Keep checking for updates…kinda want to avoid Yosemite because of quotas

kevin smith

@divr6347

im interrested
    just need to know the dates so i can prepare for the 600 mile journey lol since i would be traveling so far i would probably prefer two nights but one would work out too as long as i drove most of the way on friday and
    headed out saturday morning
    we will see as the trip plans get sorted out
    kevin

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Hey I'd love to go. My summer starts early June but I have to pick up a job and finish my Eagle Scout. But the sooner I get dates (just about anything works right now) the more likely I can join!

On a super quick side note, when do you folks suppose most of the snow will be clear between tuolumne and reds via the jmt this summer? Im looking to take my friends on that section.

Really enjoyed the last trip @ Henry Coe, too. Looking forward to this trip.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools