Topic

Added gaiters to too long rain pants, sorta

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Added gaiters to too long rain pants, sorta

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jason L

@jason_loose_arrow

Locale: Yosemite

Hello all,
    A few years ago I bought a great pair of Moonstone pants, but they were a couple of inches too long. Okay, maybe four. I was really happy with the pants, but I couldn't figure out how to make them a little shorter. Last summer, I tried a quick mod to add gaiters, sorta.pants1pants2

The bottom of the legs have shock cords and the legs zip form the top to the bottom, so I thought this would work well. It has. I only wish I had not been so capricious and done the job better. But, I will probably rework it later this summer by sewing on the loops of cord. I'll also remove the cord locks and just knot the cord on the loop.

I'm really pleased with how they came out. They are very functional and fit much better. They are still long enough not to ride up while doing a good job at keeping snow and mud out of my boots.
    -Jason

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Elegantly simple! Adding a loop for the anchored side of the instep strap would be good, but you can do that if/when the strap wears out. You can just use the unworn portion of the one you have already sewn in place.

As to the quality of your work, a good craftsman always wants to improve on the job. Live and learn!

Jason L

@jason_loose_arrow

Locale: Yosemite

Thanks for the feedback, Dale

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools