Topic

ULA epic – posted

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA epic – posted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

How similar is it to this:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GG359

The Granite Gear Vapor Flatbed

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I am very glad Chris is backing up his statement in #4.

I sent him an email stating the following:

"Hello, i just saw the new epic pack that was released and noticed that the hipbelt/hip pockets is of the older 2008 conduit style. I was curious to know if you are willing to make a ohm or conduit using this older style hipbelt (wider belt, pockets permanently sewn)? I always use hipbelt pockets, so the removable feature is of little use to me. Plus, I like the weight distribution of the older 2008 style belt more. I see a lot of similar requests on the forums, and a large portion of the market preferred the older style belt. Please let me know. Thank you!"

to which he replied:

"Konrad, The next batch of Ohms will have a belt/ pocket like you mentioned"

So freaking glad I waited to get an Ohm until now. Super excited

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I think it looks rad. I hope the realitively substanital weight for the material means that it's a good load monster. I'm thinking this would be good for carrying mountain bikes through wilderness, and for hauling out mule deer and elk quarters this fall.

The only commercially made pack I'm interested in right now.

Anyone want to buy a BZM-made Arcflex Alpine?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Konrad. I'm glad I bought an Ohm before they changed it as I thought they would. A win for both of us!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Chris, thanks for letting us know what the changes are.

also the front mesh pocket is bellowed and zippered making it much more functional,with a bag in the old style and the compression strap running over it the pocket ended up being not as useful as it could be

Good call. When I have my Arctic pack stuffed, the front pocket is really tight except for flat/slim items.

I like how you can now use any drybag. And the buckle/slot failure risk is eliminated now.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

David U asked: how similar is it to the Granite Gear Vapor Flatbed?

The blue barrels you use with the flatbed are not light. I just checked at Piragis and 30L = 4.4 lbs, 60L = 7.9 lbs.

The description says it can carry a large dry bag instead of a barrel, though — but they do not say how much weight it can handle. That would be interesting to know. I would hope it can carry a pretty good weight, since it can carry a 60L barrel.

David C said:
    I hope the relatively substantial weight for the material means that it's a good load monster.

I noted that its suggested max weight is 40 lbs — I was surprised, considering it is for "epic" trips. A 30-day trip is not unreasonable for an "epic". At 1.5-2 lbs food per day, that is 45-60 lbs of just food.

–MV

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

"How similar is it to this:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GG359

The Granite Gear Vapor Flatbed"

Intresting pack. I asked Dan Crookshank at Granite Gear about making a Vapor Flatbed several years ago. At the time he didn't think there was a market. I have been very happy with my Stratos Flatbed for monster loads and thought the same basic pack built lighter for lighter loads would be useful. I just might have to get one of these.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Don't lose sight of the fact that –

A GG Flatbed frame/hipbelt weighs 36 ounces.
    A similar NRS product weighs 42 ounces.

The Absaroka frame and hipbelt weighs 10 ounces.
    The complete Absaroka frame/hipbelt/pack weighs 32 ounces.

And a "lighter" version is in the works.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Bob – yes, I was aware of the weight of the big blue barrel. I was thinking that even at 36oz and only $125, it is 4oz off the ULA product and considerably cheaper (I have seen it as low as $80).

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

David,

For real "epic" trips, it would be worth the extra 4 oz if it could carry significantly more than the 40 lbs the ULA is rated for. Given that it is Granite Gear, and rated for a 60L barrel, I am hoping so

I have sent their customer support email asking about that. I do not expect to hear back before early this coming week, though.

–MV

David Ure

@familyguy

Let us know what GG comes back with. Although the ULA Epic is cheaper than the previous version, Lordy – $275 for just a harness is a bit up there in price.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Lordy – $275 for just a harness is a bit up there in price."

That's because you can vary the size of the pack with different sized dry bags. Considering they cost from between $10 and $25 – suck it up.

You obviously don't remember the Arctic 1000 pack – over $300.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks for re-iterating my post. That was before I found the same thing for less than 1/2 price.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You're welcome. The pleasure is all mine. :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

"I noted that its suggested max weight is 40 lbs — I was surprised, considering it is for "epic" trips. A 30-day trip is not unreasonable for an "epic". At 1.5-2 lbs food per day, that is 45-60 lbs of just food."

I've never used a ULA pack, so I'm not familiar with their suspension system. Given that I find a frameless pack with a rolled foam mat perfectly comfy for 30 lbs or a bit more, I think that the Epic might work for 50+.

We shall see.

Kevin Lutz

@mtntrailrunner

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

David,

I had an Arctic Ultra, actually two, but thats another story.
    Anyway, it carried 50-60 lbs as well as anything I have used. My thoughts were the same as yours as far as packing elk & deer parts.

I ended up selling them because where I hunt elk there are enough griz & wolves that if you don't get it out the same day you might not have much meat left.

Last year I packed out three elk in four days along with a partner on each trip. We boned the elk and packed everything in one trip each. The heaviest was a bull I shot, where my pack weighed 125 and my buddies was 135. Not ultralight for sure. My Granite Gear Stratos Flatbed worked well but I liked my friends Kifaru Longhunter enough that I bought one for this next season.

I think the Epic would work fine for mule deer, sheep etc and even elk with reasonable loads. I might try one out myself.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

I did a ULA Epic Video last weekend, and this is the result after editing. I hope this helps to get a good understanding of how the pack can work and be used. It is a great pack!

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Hendrik, thanks for posting the video. It was helpful to see the pack in use instead of still photos. Thanks for sharing and great blog! I enjoy the week in review.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Nice Job on the video.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Hendrik great vid and good review.

Joery Truyen

@joery

Locale: Europe

Great job Hendrik! Now I'm wondering what drybag you use. I noticed it's a Seal Line but I don't seem to find that specific model you are using on their website. It's dimensions look more ideal than the 70l Sea to Summit pack liner I'm using at the moment.

Love the backpack but mine shows already a lot of abrasion on the frame at the side of the drybag but this is probably resulting from the slippery fabric of the drybag I'm using. Now I put a piece of sleeping pad between the frame and the drybag and this seems to be better. Have you experienced the same issue with the drybags you are using?

The side release buckles are fragile by the way, the male parts bend easily. Had to replace several.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Finally details of one in the flesh! Thanks.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools