Topic

Any experience with the new Titanium Goat poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any experience with the new Titanium Goat poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Titanium Goat poles and could compare them to the Gossamer Gear ones? Thanks.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I don't have both so I can't compare.

I've got the new poles, and they're great for me. I thought I would miss the molded grips, because I previously used a pair of Komperdells, and used to leverage the straps alot on the uphills, turns out I was wrong. After the last couple of trips out with them, I've learned to love them sans straps and with the grips they come with.

I like being able to put my thumb over the top and use that part of my hand.

I love them, and I've got absolutely zero concerns about breakage. That being said, everyone loves the LT4s that have them also.

I'd just ask yourself how important the cork grips would be to you. The wt difference is less than half an oz now, but there is a price premium on the LT4s.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"That being said, everyone loves the LT4s that have them also."

Actually, not everyone. I prefer the TiGoat's simple foam grips. I know many prefer LT4's molded cork grips, but the molding works less well for me and I don't like the feel of cork when it's damp and clammy. As you can see, it's mostly subjective.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

If I get them maybe I will have to switch grips with you Ben

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

They're not switchable though.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Different thickness of poles?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Yepo.

Re: Ben, guess we're in a minority, but I'm in total agreement.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I asked about 2 years ago and TG said they could do cork as a special order. Don't know if that is still true.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hey, Javan — the power of two!! :)

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Ben, Make it 3…I use ti goat poles and find the foam handles work well for me. The best thing about the ti goat poles is the added camera mount. I take a lot of self pictures and this comes in really handy.

Jamie

Scott Layton
    BPL Member

@swlayton

Make it 4. I much prefer the foam handle, and with the TGPs you can remove one lower, pop it in the top of the other pole and have a much longer, adjustable pole. No need for a pole extender.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ha! The silent 'majority' now coming out of the woodwork…

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Yeah, where were you guys when I spent 2 months debating which ones to buy?

The 2010 revisions tipped the scales, not that I have a freaking clue how to fish tenkara style (or any variety of fly fishing)..

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Javan – that's not the point! ;) You can if you want to now!!

I'm really impressed with the features on the new TiGoat poles and love the simplicity of the grips. With that said I'm really happy with my LT4's. If I botch up the grips when I hack on them to add a camera mount and tarp tips on the handles I may see if I can tweak in some grips similar to the TiGoat style.

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I own a pair of the newer TiGoat AGPs with the foam handles. I'm still stirring over the handles, going back and forth. My first impressions in regard to the foam handles was the noticed lack of tack or perceived grip, they just felt slippery in my dry hands, the non-existent weight of the poles compounded that even more as I would faintly grasp the handles while hiking on the trail and found myself blazing empty handed past my poles due to slippage many times on the trail the 4 days I've used them. The foam handles haven't grown on me yet, the poles I'm absolutely in love with. I'm still familiarizing myself with the handles.

I'm circling back and forth over the Yagi fly rod accessory for the TiGoat AGP's, if that happens I think I'm going to invest in some 6 or 7" cork fly rod handles and do a MYOG project and nix the foam handles and swap them out for the cork. I think this would compliment the Yagi Tenkara rod accessory quite well.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Eugene, I had the same experience with that "left my pole behind" syndrome. After about 3 weeks on the trail with said poles, it's lessened dramatically.

Personally, I'm grateful, because every time I find myself taking two steps; sans pole, I realize I wasn't paying attention to myself, my surroundings, or the trail. I walk back, pickup the pole (which is invariably stuck in the ground at a 45deg angle), noticing the reverse view of said trail, and get my mind back in order.

It's strangely therapeutic. I tend to be too focused on "moving forward", often forgetting the journey, in search of the reward.

P.S. don't "f" with the grips. They're either goat poles, or they "ain't". ;)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools