Topic

NEW BPL PACK + QUILT POSTED!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NEW BPL PACK + QUILT POSTED!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The BPL Absaroka pack was designed only partially by the staff of Backpacking Light. Most of the design elements were arrived at by a group of BackpackingLight.com community members.

A good portion of the elements included in the pack were options that wouldn't have been included had BPL staff alone designed it. It has been a very interesting process seeing just what the community wanted rather than basing the decisions purely on how we the staff would have designed it.

We are marketing this backpack as being focused on the thru-hiker market and as an experienced thru-hiker myself I feel quite confident in stating that it is definitely a thru-hiker style backpack. It has the load-bearing capabilities for long-ish resupplies, the volume necessary for the skilled, minimality thru-hiker, and pockets accessible from the outside for easy access (snacks, camera, water, wet gear).

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Not sure what the big deal is about not having a mesh front pocket. If you look closely, they have grossgrain ribbon across the front, so that you can rig shock cord. You could dry out your jackets/tarps with a shockcord setup…I do that right now. The thing that bothers me is the lack of an ice axe / tool loop at the bottom of the pack. I'm not asking for 2, just 1. The weight penalty would be marginal, and it would open this pack up for mountaineering use, considering its capable of 40lb+ loads. The thing even looks like it caters to climbers…cmon, bright orange? Don't see those colors on the AT as much as I do in the Mountains. And again, I see that it was geared for climbers as well, since you mention heavy climbing gear hauling capability. We need an iceaxe/tool loop! If you don't climb, you have the option to cut it off…but at least give us the option to stash our axes. I also wonder if there will be a way to a way to hang an organization pocket inside if the user chooses to do so

But if it really turns out to be a 2lb pack capable of 40lb+ loads in comfort, I will be very satisfied. As far as I know, no pack on the market can do that, and still weigh 2lbs.

Ben, i think thats the main thing that seperates this pack from all the ones you listed…none of those packs were ever meant for loads as heavy as bpl is advertising. Then again, the new ULA epic is supposed to be 2lbs, and capable of 40lb loads, but we already see how expensive that is.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I like the general design of the pack, but it's too small for my needs, and isn't any lighter than my Exos 58. I agree with Conrad that it looks like a good mountaineering pack except for the lack of tool loops.

The quilt has no appeal to me.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Isn't the Exos 58 2.5 lbs?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

and you can't haul 40lbs with an exos last I heard. Don't most trampoline style packs have lower limits in terms of hauling?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

With excess straps and top pocket removed (so it is more like the BPL offering), my Exos 58 is just over 2 lbs. I've tested it to 35lbs, which is more than I would ever carry in the real world, and it was fine. I am struggling to picture how one could get 40lbs worth of gear into a 45L pack unless it was almost all liquid and bricks. or lots of stuff dangling on the outside…or lots of climbing gear! To get my Exos 58 to 35lb required a lot of cans of baked beans ;) But if you were gonna carry really heavy but small loads then I imagine the BPL pack would be worth a try.

David Ure

@familyguy

"But if it really turns out to be a 2lb pack capable of 40lb+ loads in comfort, I will be very satisfied. As far as I know, no pack on the market can do that, and still weigh 2lbs. "

You could option out a Mchale that could meet those specs – maybe a SubPop at a 45L size(?).

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hey Sam,

Sorry to swarm you, I have a couple questions regarding the Absaroka (which I realize is still in its infancy stage):

Side compression- will it feature side compression? Or is the tapered pack body and a fully loaded pack sufficient for stabilizing load? How is unused pack space when carrying small loads being compressed?

Cord- I'm assuming the small webbing loops strategically placed along the pack sides and front of the pack are for routing static or dynamic cord through the pack for securing loose articles of clothing, tarps, etc. Correct?

Shoulder straps- Is the yellow foam material peeking out from behind the mesh on the shoulder straps for aesthetics? Or is there a purpose behind this decision? Ventilation? Any durability issues? Also, what about D-Rings or loops on the shoulder straps for attaching bottle holsters? or Unslack Packs etc?

Hipbelt- The product page in the Gear Shop mentions an articulating hip belt, how is this accomplished? Is there a pivoting device?

Pack fabric- Is the siliconized pack fabrics used similar to Cordura?

Hydration sleeve- Will this be an option? The use of the oversized dynamic side pockets is a nice touch, very akin to Granite Gear packs. How will the use of only 2 side pockets for gear interfere with the double duty task of cramming and removing oversized Gatorade bottles and Platypus containers from those pockets as well?

Top Strap- Y strap? Single webbing strap?

Frame- Aluminum hoop similar to the ULA Ohm and GG Gorilla? Customizable?

Modular features- Shoulder straps? Will there be several widths? Waistbelt? How about a detachable webbing hipbelt for light loads?

Details- Will there be a toolloop or cordlock on the front of the pack for securing stowed trekking poles, flyrods, ice axe, etc?

Again, I don't expect you to answer all of these questions, I just couldn't find all the answers on the product page in the Gear Shop. Thanks Sam.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Side compression- will it feature side compression? Or is the tapered pack body and a fully loaded pack sufficient for stabilizing load? How is unused pack space when carrying small loads being compressed?

It will not feature any side compression but we've added fabric loops for those who might wish to run some cordage through them to create their own compression. The suspension system of the pack, it's shape, and small size allow it to carry low-volume loads nicely.

Shoulder straps- Is the yellow foam material peeking out from behind the mesh on the shoulder straps for aesthetics? Or is there a purpose behind this decision? Ventilation? Any durability issues? Also, what about D-Rings or loops on the shoulder straps for attaching bottle holsters? or Unslack Packs etc?

The yellow color is (I believe) simply the color that material was available in. It is constructed of the mesh fabric for ventilation. There is one loop near the top of the shoulder strap but no d-rings.

Hipbelt- The product page in the Gear Shop mentions an articulating hip belt, how is this accomplished? Is there a pivoting device?

The hipbelt and suspension are held in place by fabric pockets and velcro. This allows for some movement of these devices within the pack.

Hydration sleeve- Will this be an option?

No.

How will the use of only 2 side pockets for gear interfere with the double duty task of cramming and removing oversized Gatorade bottles and Platypus containers from those pockets as well?

As with any pack with a mesh side pocket it will be more difficult to remove and place water bottles into them if there are other items already in there. The pockets are sewn to provide some space even when the pack body is crammed full however.

Top Strap- Y strap? Single webbing strap?

The top strap is single. The top of the pack body is similar to a drybag in that it can be rolled and closed to itself, but different from a drybag in that you can roll it closed and attach it to a set of straps originating from within the side pockets also.

Frame- Aluminum hoop similar to the ULA Ohm and GG Gorilla? Customizable?

The pack frame is a single piece of curved aluminum.

Modular features- Shoulder straps? Will there be several widths? Waistbelt? How about a detachable webbing hipbelt for light loads?

I discussed the modularity a bit above. The hipbelt and frame can be completely removed from the rest of the pack.

Details- Will there be a toolloop or cordlock on the front of the pack for securing stowed trekking poles, flyrods, ice axe, etc?

There is no sewn-in loop however there are the small loops sewn in that could easily have a small piece of cordage attached to them to create your own ice axe or trekking pole loops.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

There are already an unbelievable assortment of packs (and quilts) on the market. Why can't BPL concentrate on making more of some of the popular items from the past that are no longer available or always out of stock?

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools