Topic

Tall eVent rain jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tall eVent rain jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

All this talk of rain jackets has got me thinking again about getting a new one. Currently I am using a TNF Diad from about 2-3 years ago in an XL that is just not long enough in the body. Everyone seems to be going to eVent but I guess ID is the are the only ones that will do custom work to make the body longer and I just can't afford what they will charge for a custom job. Any other options?

David Ure

@familyguy

ID will not do custom work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is correct. I think I mixed something else in there.

Still doesn't help me though.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Not Event, but something even more breatheable

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Which one should I be looking at? Glamaig?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

The Sligachan might be worth considering. It's longer, and if you wear your pack belt waist high, you might get it over the pockets. It is a bit heavier, but then it's longer, which is what you wanted. Paramo fabric tends to run warm, most folk just wear a single thin piece underneath, so you might factor in reducing your load of other garments to offset against the greater weight of the jacket.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Although ID dosn't do custom work I think they have a model with a much longer body than the DIAD. I think it's the Thruhiker model.

Mike S
    BPL Member

@mikeylxt

Locale: Maryland

Eddie Bauer….dont laugh….both these look really good.

Plus Eddie Bauer is a great resource for tall people.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Mens-Outerwear/First-Ascent/Mens-First-Ascent-Hard-Shell/index.cat

BC-100: $140
    BC-200: $220 – It’s never been done. A 3-layer, waterproof/breathable hard shell with 20K/25K performance and complete welded-seam construction that’s under 11 oz.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thruhiker specs are only about 1/2" off the Diad ones. 27" in the front is not enough for me.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Man, those colours made my eyeballs bleed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, I don't think the Eddie Bauer stuff is any more breatheable than what I have now. And it doesn't have pit zips so it is probably much less.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

Many cycling companies make event jackets, that are at least longer in the back. Montane, Shower Pass, there is even a $110 event cycling jacket with free shipping in the UK that the sigh says is under 300 grams (Q&A section).

dhb Wickham eVENT Waterproof Cycling Jacket

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

That's freakishly light for e-Vent. I wonder how durable the inner layer is. Cycling stuff isn't really designed for abrasion from pack straps.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Still doesn't help me though."

You mention getting a jacket longer than the one you have now. Doesn't help anyone here much. How long do you want it – i.e. length in inches? That might help.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

30" would be good in the front but I will take 28.5

David Ure

@familyguy

The aforementioned Integral Designs Thru Hiker eVENT Jacket in XL has a 32" length in the back. Might just be the ticket.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

And 27" in the front is not enough. Basically almost comes to my waist.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I don't know how good Marmot's proprietary WPB material is but this has plenty of length for it's weight:

http://marmot.com/products/traveler_jacket

mega name

@meganame

That's an okay looking jacket, and very inexpensive. I really dig that Integral Designs eVent Thru Hiker, it's very pricey though.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Cioch will make it as long as you want, just ask.
    I bet you could ask for the lighter fabric in the Harta design. I got the Glamaig with the Harta hood but the pockets are low down, sometimes covered up by my waistbelt.

It is super long though, I am a tall dude and like a bit more coverage, so I asked them for that and they delivered.

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/harta.html

LLBean and Eddie Bauer advertise tall sizes, but their sleeves are not much longer than the more hardcore brands in my experience.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

No, the macpac thing is nice and more expensive than anything IA have paid for in the last year. I think with conversion it is still about $420 US. But nice. And 26oz.

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

What about a eVent packa ??

I have a small and it's longer than all my other shells (Arcteryx Theta SL and Marmot Mica)

A large might be the ticket.

With those huge pit zips and in eVent it's the most breatheable, cool wearing shell I own. Very bright in RED too.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools