Topic

Difference between old and newer Contrail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Difference between old and newer Contrail?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Piper
    BPL Member

@jmpiper

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Who can spell out for me the main differences between the original Contrail and the latest version of the Contrail? I have one but don't know which version and am looking for some obvious visual things that would tell me how old this thing is…or if it is the currently selling version.

Thanks,

Jeff

Del Johnston

@deljohnston

Locale: Heart of Dixie

It says nothing on the site about a newer one, so I am only going with what they DO have on the site. It says that the new feature for the **2007** model is an adjustable rear canopy. Nothing else is mentioned.

http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

I am sure you could email Henry and ask. He always seems helpful.

[email protected]

Hope this helps a little.

Jeff Piper
    BPL Member

@jmpiper

Thanks. I know I have read that there are differences in the "cut" of the tent as well. Just not sure if there is an easy way to differentiate between the different versions of the Contrail.

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

Look..into..my..eyes……You need a new tent. Check out the new 2010 Sublite Sil on the Tarptent.com web site. I have the sublite sil and found it to be a little cramped on head room. (I'm 5'7") The new version addresses that concern and adds vestibule space, side entry, head room biased toward one end, and increased ventilation. I've been in some pretty nasty weather above treeline in the older version and was amazed at it's resistance to wind. The perimeter netting ventilation works well to control condensation, but it can be sealed up fairly tight for wind/warmth issues. I once measured interior/exterior temperature difference at 40 deg exterior to 53 deg inner.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There are three versions of the Contrail
    2006 version : the one on the Contrail product page
    2007 version : there is a link to it on the above page. You can drop the tail on this one.
    2008 version the one that Franco goes on and on about it..(but kept secret by HS)
    a boring shot and a couple of shots in action.
    Contrail tail

Contrail 1
    Contrail 2

There are several differences here.
    The tail is easier to drop
    The mid guyout point on the boxed-end (tail…) has been strengthened (just for me)
    The fabric now covers part of the vertical wall of the rear end.
    The rear tie out points have been simplified.
    Re-designed tensioning lines between the floor front corners and the beak.
    The fly now is attached under (on the inside) the front beak. (easier to do from the inside)

Franco

Jeff Piper
    BPL Member

@jmpiper

Still not sure which version I have. I believe the velcrow which closes the front beak is on the underside and runs all the way down to the tie out…however, the rear struts raise and lower with velcrow only. I do not appear to have the 2007 option. So…not sure what I have.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Ok
    2 Contrails
    The one the left (rounded end) is the current version, the other (square end) is the original. Only the current version has the "round" end.
    You cannot slide the back down on the original. Therefore if you can slide the back down but don't have the fabric continuing past the edge at the end ,yours is the 2007 model.
    Franco

Jeff Piper
    BPL Member

@jmpiper

Thanks Franco. How much different is the "cut" between the two? Does the newer 2008 model set-up tighter than the 2007 version?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

That was pretty minor. I was happy with the way the original worked for me but the latest is nicer .
    For a taut set up you need to pay attention to the angle of the guylines and make sure that the back is parallel to the front.
    As I mentioned before the floor is always a good indication. If you have a smooth flat floor most likely it is set up correctly.
    Franco

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

My wife thinks I am an idiot but the contrail is still one of the sexiest tents I have seen (yes I own one too)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools