Topic

Ditch your carabiners, Nacrabiners have arrived

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ditch your carabiners, Nacrabiners have arrived

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

All credit belongs to Nacra533 @ hammock forums.

Well guys hammock forums is again leading the way in knot innovation. Below you will find a thread that will allow you to ditch all your carabiners in favor of "nacrabiners". It is a small piece of amsteel/dynaglide with a diamond knot and a loop. You need basic knowledge of splicing, which you can also learn at hammock forums.

To learn splicing: do a search for a guy named Opie(has many pictorals on how to splice and make things splicing) and a thread by Slowbro about whoppie slings(if your at the right thread, there will be pictures in the begining and many pages of the thread).

Ditch those biners, lighten up with nacra biners.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9059

Tested breaking point w/ amsteel: 2800LBS

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Nice, thanks for sharing

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

they are super easy to make and weigh nothing, with a 2800lb limit, there is nothing they cannot do. I am making some to replace my fig 9 on my tarp ridgeline for my hammock. Im also making 1-2 just to carry for whatever i may use them for, such as bear bagging, or if i need a carabiner. Im also making one for my tree huggers for my hammock, so i don't have to use toggles, much easier setup. A marlin spike hitch is a cinch to tie, but this will just be faster. Right now i have removed all metal hardware from my setup, im just trying to make it faster, this will help. It will also allow me to connect my tree huggers to my whoppie slings So i don't have to use a toggle there.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

FYI:

It's "Whoopie", not "Whoppie".

Not nitpicking, just sayin' for those who search for them.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Yea I just made a typo, my bad.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools