Topic

Cheap”er” source of 800 fp Goose Down for MYOG’er

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Cheap”er” source of 800 fp Goose Down for MYOG’er

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Han Ngiam

@hanngiam

I figured I'll share this here for those that make their own gear. According to the description the fill weight of the pillow is 23 oz at a cost of $80. So the cost per oz is about $3.47 or cheaper with bing cashback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLECTION-59-Luxe-Standard-Goose-Down-M-F-Pillow-/390126153372?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Pillows&hash=item5ad554ae9c

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

Once you have some goose down, how do you confirm the power rating? I am skeptical about any claims on eBay.

Han Ngiam

@hanngiam

According to Wikipedia the higher quality down takes less quantity to achieve the same loft of a lower quality down. I guess some testing could be done to verify if it is the quality as stated. Though from Bloomingdale's website it states "Bloomingdale's "My Luxe" Pillows
    The Luxe is our finest down filled pillow. Features 370 thread count batiste cover with 800 fill power European White Goose Down."

wyatt warthen

@warthen

Is there a regular on-line supplier of goose down or a vendor that will load a sleeping bag that I build?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Frank, I can't help you completely. However, many years ago I was in the cutting room at Western Mountaineering. They had a down loft device. It was a clear plastic cylinder that was full of down, and it had cubic inches of volume lines marked on the sides. There was a round cap on the top end, so one ounce of down would be placed into this, and it would expand to push the round cap upward in the cylinder to some mark. Back then, 600 or 650 FP was a big achievement.

–B.G.–

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

I've done alot of business with stormcrow. He has 800 fill down on sale right now for 6.50 an ounce with free shipping to the Continental US.

http://theperfecttrees.com/products.html#down

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Wyatt,

Send me a PM.

– Ben

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm skeptical about the down quality, but who knows…

z jack

@zoharj

Check out downbythepound.com. You can buy bulk goose down for $5.50 per oz. Its 800+ fill power and IDFL certified. It is by far the cheapest source on the net

Disclaimer: downbythepound.com is my company

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What is your affiliation with that company?

–B.G.–

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools