Topic

1 oz Mountain House packaging

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition 1 oz Mountain House packaging

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Scott Zuschin

@scottzuschin

Ok. I freak out about that kind of stuff. Thought I may have jumped the gun on repackaging. I'm stoked the meals fit much smaller now. I am definitely saving a couple of the original bags to drop the ziplocks in for cooking. I may just make a thermal cozie.

Larry H
    BPL Member

@lhefling

Great thread – thanks all

Evelyn Moran
    BPL Member

@evelynmoran

I have repackaged commercial freeze dried in zip locks and had no problem with them.  I would rehydrate in a pot to avoid the mess in the bag.  Dog cleans the pot, just needs a quick wash afterwards,

I now make almost all my meals and dehydrate.  Even though there are some very tasty and healthier meals out there, I save money and have greater variety making my own,  I will make extra of a one pot meal and dry the leftovers and vacuum seal.  Yummy and fewer preservatives.  I still may take one or two prepared for a quicker alternative.  Good – to – go and Backpackers Bistro make some good alternatives and there is a new company, Trailtopia that sounds good but I haven’t tried.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have repackaged MH meals into ziplocs,mostly for the volume savings when packing a bear canister. But you do also save a bit of weight – it’s just not that much, and I like how the original pouches stand up on their own pretty well. So I don’t bother except when the volume issue arises.

Upwards of a a month after repackaging, no problems of any kind as far as spoilage.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools