Topic

Winter Layering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Winter Layering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I've only used wp/b leather boots in the cold. I didn't need insulated boots only a thick pair of wool socks.

I've just switched to non-wp/b trail runners for 3 season hiking and plan to try some of the ideas describing in the 3 part series for colder weather:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lightweight_footwear_systems_for_snow_travel_part_1.html
    (I only liked to the first part)

I think at a minimum you would want a goretex sock (possibly neoprene) with trail runners, warm socks and gaiters

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

James,
    great idea, non-waterproof shoes, but WP/B socks. I thinks this will probably suit me best. I will have to look into some Neoprene or Goretex socks. I'm also looking at RBH Vapor Barrier socks.

I will probably also utilize some UL WP gaiters.

-Sid

Stephen Klassen

@steveyk

What do you mean by "alpine"?

Are you going to have access to water, or will you be melting snow?

Sounds like you will be on snow. Since you don't seem to use poles, I assume you won't be on skis. What snowshoes are you going to be using? Or will you be using crampons?

Also, sounds like you will need an ice ax. Snowshoes slide a lot easier than skis. Do you know how to self-arrest? With snow shoes or cramons on? Will the gloves hold up to long sidehilling with an ice ax in hand?

What are you doing for navigation? Any experience travelling in a whiteout? Is your clothing system capable of keeping you warm enough if you get pinned down? In particular, I have concerns about your gloves, and footwear. The mitts will work well when not moving, but too warm (wet) if used while moving. I don't know how one would keep their feet warm without heavy boots, synthetic booties, or down booties with a dryloft shell.

If not on the East Coast, will you be in avalanche terrain? If so, what training do you have, what beacon/probe/shovel? Have you considered an avalung, avalung pack, or airbag?

Are you going to be on glaciers/icefields? Are you taking rope, harness, prussiks? Have you practiced crevasse rescue? Any training on travelling while roped up? Do you have a helmet?

Other than the feet and the gloves, I think the clothing system could work. But it depends on what you mean by alpine.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools